fused neutral

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicspark

Reaction score
will the DNO replace a head with a fused neutral free of charge?

what should I advise the client?

AFAIK this is a relatively serious safety issue, such that if the neutral fuse blows it can leave energised cables all around the installtion....

e.g. Non compliance with....

132.14.1 page 18.

A single-pole, fuse, switch or circuit breaker shall be inserted in the LINE conductor only.

OR

411.3.2.1 page 46.

Automatic disconnection in the event of a fault will disconnect the supply to the LINE conductor.

I believe they have obligations to ensure their supply complies with regs!

:) ;)

They will - As Neutrals are no longer allowed to be fused. ONLY line Conductors are. :)

Although you may see a fuse carrier on the neutral most have had a solid link fitted. Check for this if safe to do so.

Some old cut-outs have a double removable fuse carrier , one side has a fuse in it , the other ,as said , has a solid link .

But also , some do indeed have a fused neutral.

deke

The age of the cutout/building will useuly give you a good idea of if it will be fused or not. Cutouts will be changed for a number of reasons:

cast iron

fused neutral

cracked/damaged

leaking pitch

all this work will be carried out FOC by the DNO as they are safety issuies, all of the above would be carried out as emergency works in my area (central networks)

sparkss

AFAIK this is a relatively serious safety issue, such that if the neutral fuse blows it can leave energised cables all around the installtion....e.g. Non compliance with....

132.14.1 page 18.

A single-pole, fuse, switch or circuit breaker shall be inserted in the LINE conductor only.

OR

411.3.2.1 page 46.

Automatic disconnection in the event of a fault will disconnect the supply to the LINE conductor.

I believe they have obligations to ensure their supply complies with regs!

:) ;)
BS7671 does not apply here as the service cut out would come under the ESQ regulations as cut out belongs to the DNO