crimps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whats best after crimping do u guys use self amalgamating tape, choc box or just nothing

thank qqqqqqqqq

fast response.

i may have to invest in some

posh, just plain old crimps for me:D, i norm put in choc box, but i read on here that they are fine just as they are and some people use a good tape

I think if you crimp cables through to install them in a wall they should be in an encloser CJS

if its under a floor or in a wall therefore inaccessible you are going to need to provide some strain relief for the connection to be considered maintenance free. for my joints i would either use wagos in a choc box (hate chock boxes cable grips) or Ashley J803, J804 which i think are much easier to use.

Thought of the day. What is the BS for heat shrink sleeving over cable joints hidden or buried in walls or ceilings ?

Thought of the day. What is the BS for heat shrink sleeving over cable joints hidden or buried in walls or ceilings ?
I would not think there is a BS but a regulation to ensure you do it correctly but I am to lazy to look it up.

Batty

if its under a floor or in a wall therefore inaccessible you are going to need to provide some strain relief for the connection to be considered maintenance free. for my joints i would either use wagos in a choc box (hate chock boxes cable grips) or Ashley J803, J804 which i think are much easier to use.
Indeed!Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Guiness Drink

If it's non visual, several layers of self amalgamating tape. If visual then a couple of layers of heatshrink.

For non insulated crimps I use a layer of glue lined heatshrink on each crimp before final finishing as above.

I also stagger the crimps as per pic - ensures no contact between conductors if insulation should ever shrink back and makes the joint less bulky and can use a smaller diameter of heatshrink.

06122007.jpg

06122007(001).jpg

06082008(002).jpg

06082008(003).jpg

If it's non visual, several layers of self amalgamating tape. If visual then a couple of layers of heatshrink.For non insulated crimps I use a layer of glue lined heatshrink on each crimp before final finishing as above.

I also stagger the crimps as per pic - ensures no contact between conductors if insulation should ever shrink back and makes the joint less bulky and can use a smaller diameter of heatshrink.
Love the free with first order SF level in the first pic :D