mad scientist deviating wildly from 2330 text

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeff737

Reaction score
HI every one, can any one please offer some guidance as to the limits of things we will need to learn for the 2330 level 3.

Our tutor is VERY bright......too bright. He goes way over and above with technical theory when teaching us the basics which just confuses us.

Are we to assume that the level of teaching in such books as Trevor Linseys 2330 level 3 is round about the level of question we would be expected to answer in out exams???

For example, today our tutor gave us 8 sheets of A4 paper with 86 equations on, some of which are multiples and he said we have to learn them all backwards as we only have 20 weeks (at evening classes twice a week) to complete the theory part of the course, most of which dont appear in any text books that we were told we would need.........is this normal??

we figured out from last years exams that he seriously 'over eggs the pudding' and we had learnt (or tried to learn) far more than we needed too which would have been great if we had understood even half of it, and it just made exam time more stressful as we had so much more to revise.

Is this normal???

Thank? :|

Better to know too much than to know too little, Mate. :D

Welcome to the forum. :D

Could you PM me the 86 Equations? Would be good to see them. :)

Better to know too much than to know too little, Mate. I'D AGREE........if we really knew what he was on about!!, i recon its better to know alot about a little rather than a little about alot,

what is it they say about a little bit of knowledge...!!??

So, any one get a point of view to my original question?

Hi Zeff,

when i did 2330 L2 and L3, i purchased both Trevor Linsey books ( Basic and advanced electrical installations) and made sure I could answer the questions in the books before taking my exams. Found this helped me to ensure i had a good enough understanding in all areas.

If I remember correctly the exams did throw up a good mixture of questions across the syllabus plus a lot of stuff that isnt even covered that required an " educated guess".

With regards to equations their are probably only a dozen or so that you will need to know ie working out voltage drop and cable calcs, adiabatic for cpc sizing, ohms law, power,some basic electronics,but motor theory is quite a big section.

PS have you just started L3?

Thanks for your in put so far fellas, the link to the equations is of value as there just some of the ones we learnt last year (level 2)....some of the things he wants us to learn this year (well, 20 weeks) are:

acceleration, area, breadth, celsius, coulomb, specific heat capacity of a particular substance, distance, farad capacitance, force on a conductor, henry inductance, kelvins, kinetic energy, length, magnetising force, potential energy, quantity of heat(energy) in Joules, saturation, remnant flux density, tesla, turning moment, change in temperature, permittivity of free space......and thats not all of them!!!!.......do all level 3 students have to learn all this lot backwards, dont get me wrong, im sure there all vital to the subject, but at level 3 ???????

Thanks for your in put so far fellas, the link to the equations is of value as there just some of the ones we learnt last year (level 2)....some of the things he wants us to learn this year (well, 20 weeks) are:acceleration, area, breadth, celsius, coulomb, specific heat capacity of a particular substance, distance, farad capacitance, force on a conductor, henry inductance, kelvins, kinetic energy, length, magnetising force, potential energy, quantity of heat(energy) in Joules, saturation, remnant flux density, tesla, turning moment, change in temperature, permittivity of free space......and thats not all of them!!!!.......do all level 3 students have to learn all this lot backwards, dont get me wrong, im sure there all vital to the subject, but at level 3 ???????
When I served my time over 30 years ago these where the standard things we did then at college so it is nothing new.

When I served my time over 30 years ago these where the standard things we did then at college so it is nothing new.
As i stated, i know its all part of this hugh subject, the more you learn the more you realise how little you know, i would really like responses from people doing the same course to compare their course content as ive spoken to several lads that have done it full time a few years ago and they look blankly at some of the equations that i put in front of them.......saying that they didn't do them for their exams, i guess that deciding which field you want to work in would have a large bearing on how for you take it....which brings me right back to the start......is all this the norm for todays level three or is he just scaring the cr@p out of us again!?! ROTFWL

Last edited by a moderator:
As i stated, i know its all part of this hugh subject, the more you learn the more you realise how little you know, i would really like responses from people doing the same course to compare their course content as ive spoken to several lads that have done it full time a few years ago and they look blankly at some of the equations that i put in front of them.......saying that they didn't do them for their exams, i guess that deciding which field you want to work in would have a large bearing on how for you take it....which brings me right back to the start......is all this the norm for todays level three or is he just scaring the cr@p out of us again!?! ROTFWL
I have asked you for a look at them and so far, have not received any from you, Therefore - I am unable to comment on them - as are the others, sorry.

Are you in a position to scan them and to put them on here mate?

I have asked you for a look at them and so far, have not received any from you, Therefore - I am unable to comment on them - as are the others, sorry.Are you in a position to scan them and to put them on here mate?
I dont have access to a scanner...thats why i posted above what some of the equations are

Well i guess its good he is teaching you stuff over and above what you need, so he is not training you just to pass an exam.

That said you do need to know what you are going to be tested on and what is extra knowledge he is teaching you over and above, can you not just ask him and see what he has to say? maybe he will be able to tell you where all this NASA rocket science stuff he is teaching you will fit into the C&G 2330 qualification? maybe go to him saying you would like to seperate the revision stuff better into need to know, and nice to know stuff!

Sounds like it is also not just you wondering what he is teaching you all this for, do you have any idea where you want to be after passing? and what is relavent to you? it is all well and good learning XY and Z, but you do need ot know when and where and why you apply this.

Personaly I like the sound of your tutor! that said I think I would pass out if I had to learn what you are learning, does sound interesting though!

ROTFWL yeah, we have tried to get him to back off a bit........didn't work:(He is a great bloke, very easy going but maybe not the best 'teacher', he spent two hour tonight explaining about voltage drops in cables due to heat REALLY INTENSLY then he came out with his catch fraze........'but you will never be asked that in any axam because its far too advanced' SO WHY TELL US!!!!!...its just confusing!! it would not be too bad if he explained the basics of the stuff and let us get to grips with it, but he thinks its SO easy that its almost not worth teaching so goes off on the stuff that he finds of interest...which is way above us and the stuff that we do need to know, the building blocks so to speak are just skipped over! I see your point about taking on board the stuff i want/need for the future, im a maintanence engineer so need to know about motors, three phase etc, but ive done this stuff (machanical only) for 20 years and would really like a change to domestic work......but i get that you carnt pick which peice of the pie you get, you must 'jump through the hoops' or every one would be doing it!!, the others on the course feel the same and they come from different areas.......its all just a blur, i dont want to pass an exam, i want to be a good sparky (not a rocket scientist tho) theres a big difference between the two!!

Speaking of which.

I heard from a reliable source, that the 2330 is going to be split. One is designed for those who wish to do "Domestic".

And the other is for those who with to do commercial and Industrial.

I have heard no more since though. :(

Most ideal solution would be to go back to the old 2360 system, or possibly do bolt on modules onto the side of the 2330 covering stuff like tray/trunking etc. Done properly, steel conduit doesnt take long to learn the theory of. All you need is a short length of the conduit you are bending, a pen, tap measure, , T- square, and the measurement of the length of conduit u wish to install.

AndyGuiness Drink

Latest posts