DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
  •  

Countdown To Christmas!

Wiring Accessories

Couleddie

Question

What preferences are there for different makes of wiring accessories? Do you ALWAYS use a certain make or use different depending on job?

Personally i've always used MK stuff - worth the extra as far as i'm concerned and in terms of quality and aesthetics they're streets ahead. Quite like Crabtree stuff also.

Never had any problems with MK stuff. Same cannot be said for several other makes where switches have failed and plastic has cracked.

Seems to be an awful lot of rubbish around these days. I seem to remember in the 70s (when I were a lad!) that most places I visited were wired with MK. Rarely see this in domestic premises these days.

For whats it worth, on ring ccts I always terminate cpc's into seperate terminals if their are two connections on the back of socket outlet.

Just think that if both cpc's are in one termination and screw comes loose then no earthing, however terminating seperately reduces total loss of earth.

I prefer to put them through one piece of sleeving and terminate in one connection. Worse thing that could happen is on socket outlet would be unearthed. The way you do it if you had two loose connections you could have a whole part of the ring main unearthed which could be seriously dangerous.

Batty

If its a full rewire then MK all the way. If only a single point or partial rewire I will try and much accessories to those already installed.

AndyGuiness Drink

Theorysparky

Double pole Marbo

unless an alternate specified by customer,,,which they rarely do.

i use dp now, the extra earth can come in handy, another spark said u have to wire the earth to seperate terminals, i thought it was only for high protective conductors

Talking out of his backside. Wasnt Tony Cable from the NICEIC was it?ROTFWL Only need to wire into seperate terminals in offices etc (dont quote Me in this though).

AndyGuiness Drink

Crabtree and GET for me

Ashley here too, too be honest cant beat old MK range (pre logic plus)

AndyGuiness Drink

Contactum always for me. Mk rarely there three gang sockets are a pain in the butt fitted three at a job and have changed them three times now the outlet nearest the fuse packs up if I have to change them again MK will be getting a bill.

Batty

I would just recommend 2 doubles in that case Batty :)

AndyGuiness Drink

I would just recommend 2 doubles in that case Batty :)

AndyGuiness Drink

No it would have been 5 doubles as they wanted 9 outlets in a line for a study.

I stand corrected Sir:p but I think you know what I am getting at??

AndyGuiness Drink

Ashley here too, too be honest cant beat old MK range (pre logic plus)

AndyGuiness Drink

There was one range (can't remember what it was) that ripped off the old MK design and they were total junk. B&Q used to sell them (surprise surprise).

Even the really old MK accessories are way better than some of the new stuff. Plenty of them still in service too.

Agreed, Ashley are rubbish but i'd choose them over Volex. Had plenty of bad experiences there.

Talking out of his backside. Wasnt Tony Cable from the NICEIC was it?ROTFWL Only need to wire into seperate terminals in offices etc (dont quote Me in this though).

AndyGuiness Drink

:):):D:DROTFWLROTFWLROTFWLApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

thats what i thought IT equipment, sure thats right and if its a radial u have to bring an earth back to a separate earth terminal in the cu

MK sometimes but usually GET ultimate white moulded (very nice looking) / exclusive (if cheaper needed)

green-hornet

I like the MK, and for things like grid switching they take some beating.

I also use GET which I have found to be ok.

Problem with most domestic odd jobs MK will not match up with other sockets so I tend to use the GET for them.

Likewise GH, it was GET who got into a tussle with MK over the design/position of tunnel terminals. NEWLEC and Wickes is rebadged GET gear.

AndyGuiness Drink

o forgot to say if its brushed metal/ chrome finish i always use Hamilton, good looking and easy to install

o forgot to say if its brushed metal/ chrome finish i always use Hamilton, good looking and easy to install

Have you tried the screwless ones they are a pig to fit.

MK all the way for flatplate :)

AndyGuiness Drink

But then again there is always Forbes & Lomax to perform open surgery on your wallet:p

AndyGuiness Drink

Have you tried the screwless ones they are a pig to fit.

nope, dont really offer it as it is a pig to fit, i fit the 74 range quite slim, with screws and a slight lip to get over normal non flat walls. I would do a link to the range on the hamilton site, but i think their site is crap so there is no point.

nope, dont really offer it as it is a pig to fit, i fit the 74 range quite slim, with screws and a slight lip to get over normal non flat walls. I would do a link to the range on the hamilton site, but i think their site is crap so there is no point.

I like hamilton stuff but a customer brought 4 single screwless flat plate for her kitchen they where the worst sockets I have fitted for the time they took but they did look nice when done.

I fitted some Crabtree screwless at my parent's house. Complete sod to fit. Looked nice when finished though. No pain no gain!!

Robin Spark

For whats it worth, on ring ccts I always terminate cpc's into seperate terminals if their are two connections on the back of socket outlet.

Just think that if both cpc's are in one termination and screw comes loose then no earthing, however terminating seperately reduces total loss of earth.

Archived