Jump to content

DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
  • 0

Light switch sparking.


L-E_Fault

Question

Recommended Posts

Agreed get it sorted before it starts a fire and gets your backside in the brown runny stuff.

AndyGuiness Drink

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Natural spark of the switching mechanism?

AndyGuiness Drink

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the outside of a stable had normal switch, it was covered from rain but not damp air, after a few years it was sparking and making a noise, i put ip 44 or 45 or 55 i forget, they are cheapish from screwfix

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It doesn't happen that often but sometimes when I flick the sockets of by the switch theres a small spark( which hasn't got me yet). I didn't know if it maybe the garage that might get damp (I can't say I've noticed it getting damp though) we also have a tumble dryer in there which might create a bit of damp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably a bit of arcing are they old or cheapos?

About 3 years old they were in when we bought the house, the garage had been built by the previous owner, an electrician.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dont think so bud.

AndyGuiness Drink

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was also told that sparks can occur depending on what part of the wave form at the time of switching

Dont know how true it is, i think it was told to me by an old college lecturer many years ago

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All switches arc & spark when you turn them off...

(Tis one of the reasons we are warned if you smell gas DO NOT turn anything electrical OFF, as spark could ignite gas!)

the bigger the load the bigger the spark...

the cheaper the accessory the thiner the plastic, the brighter the spark appears..

the darker the room the brighter the spark appears...

All switches have a max current rating which is the amount of load the contacts can safely and regularly break without damaging the switch contacts.. e.g. welding together due to the associated arcing & sparking!

e.g.

16amp/10amp/6amp etc.. rated light switch.

20amp double pole isolator switch.

100amp/80amp/60amp etc.. CU main switch.

80amp/63amp etc.. RCD

etc..

etc..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All switches arc & spark when you turn them off...

(Tis one of the reasons we are warned if you smell gas DO NOT turn anything electrical OFF, as spark could ignite gas!)

the bigger the load the bigger the spark...

the cheaper the accessory the thiner the plastic, the brighter the spark appears..

the darker the room the brighter the spark appears...

All switches have a max current rating which is the amount of load the contacts can safely and regularly break without damaging the switch contacts.. e.g. welding together due to the associated arcing & sparking!

e.g.

16amp/10amp/6amp etc.. rated light switch.

20amp double pole isolator switch.

100amp/80amp/60amp etc.. CU main switch.

80amp/63amp etc.. RCD

etc..

etc..

Applaud Smiley

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Strip lights are also inductive due to the choke, and so tend to give you a bigger spark.

Cheers Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every now and again a socket and a light switch in my garage spark when flicking the switch, does anybody know why this would happen?

Come on guys ...... headbang

It depends where you are in the sine wave when you flick the switch which of course you don't know. But if it's at the top then you are switching maximum current hence the spark.

Cheers, Ron

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.