Light switch sparking.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L-E_Fault

Reaction score
Every now and again a socket and a light switch in my garage spark when flicking the switch, does anybody know why this would happen?

the outside of a stable had normal switch, it was covered from rain but not damp air, after a few years it was sparking and making a noise, i put ip 44 or 45 or 55 i forget, they are cheapish from screwfix

It doesn't happen that often but sometimes when I flick the sockets of by the switch theres a small spark( which hasn't got me yet). I didn't know if it maybe the garage that might get damp (I can't say I've noticed it getting damp though) we also have a tumble dryer in there which might create a bit of damp.

Probably a bit of arcing are they old or cheapos?
About 3 years old they were in when we bought the house, the garage had been built by the previous owner, an electrician.

if it bothers u i would change them, not expensive, better safe than sorry

All switches arc & spark when you turn them off...

(Tis one of the reasons we are warned if you smell gas DO NOT turn anything electrical OFF, as spark could ignite gas!)

the bigger the load the bigger the spark...

the cheaper the accessory the thiner the plastic, the brighter the spark appears..

the darker the room the brighter the spark appears...

All switches have a max current rating which is the amount of load the contacts can safely and regularly break without damaging the switch contacts.. e.g. welding together due to the associated arcing & sparking!

e.g.

16amp/10amp/6amp etc.. rated light switch.

20amp double pole isolator switch.

100amp/80amp/60amp etc.. CU main switch.

80amp/63amp etc.. RCD

etc..

etc..

All switches arc & spark when you turn them off...(Tis one of the reasons we are warned if you smell gas DO NOT turn anything electrical OFF, as spark could ignite gas!)

the bigger the load the bigger the spark...

the cheaper the accessory the thiner the plastic, the brighter the spark appears..

the darker the room the brighter the spark appears...

All switches have a max current rating which is the amount of load the contacts can safely and regularly break without damaging the switch contacts.. e.g. welding together due to the associated arcing & sparking!

e.g.

16amp/10amp/6amp etc.. rated light switch.

20amp double pole isolator switch.

100amp/80amp/60amp etc.. CU main switch.

80amp/63amp etc.. RCD

etc..

etc..
Applaud Smiley