Thinking of making a website

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

for a while now I've been thinking of making myself a website, but I don't have much of a clue when it comes to HTML code - 10 years ago I did a bit, but I haven't done any since and have forgotten...

So what I am after is some help,,,

To get anywhere I will need to get a half decent WYSIWYG editor

I have some ftp software

and I guess I will need some web hosting - email forwarding

BTW I'm running Linux (Ubuntu), but I do have a desktop which is running XP

OR

some kind person to do it for me

Web Site Layout Maker very easy to use if you need something quick

Ensure the project output is in a different folder to that of your project files, as by default it clears the output folder ;) when generating the new HTML page

http://www.smilemelon.com/features/features.html

If you need any other details PM me

Just downloaded that simlemelon, if you don't pay you can't save or create web pages...

I'm sorry, but I'm not paying for software just to do one website..

Anyone got any free software?? (XP or Linux)

HTML is old hat now, you need to know CSS too these days ideally.

I can still do basics, but most of it goes over my head lately.

:|

Nick, Just noticed on the contact page, your address it might be worth putting "Nick Evens Electrical Services" before the address.

Just a thought :)

Im still working on the random text thing, can send it you if you want for testing?

without going and digging a CD out with site on im not 100% sure, but i think it is in the CSS

Yes thanks Stuart,

I have had a good read, but I am a little pressed for time at the moment (work wise) going into the evenings 3 days a week and doing weekends...

Can't complain though, it's good to be busy again

The one thing I'd like to do is get the heading (<h1>) the same size as the body (or near enough) I think it would help with the flow of the text and SEO... I've found the setting in the default.css file, but it alters the body size aswell:(

is the css set for the body copy in the code to reference the stylesheet?