Smoke Alarm system

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Plate

Reaction score
Hello and good day ,

Please i need your advice and opinion regarding my new smoke alarm system ,

5 years ago I am aware that my smoked alarm buzz everytime we turn on the switch from the CU , so we left it off since then , I am confident because i know the battery backup will still work even if it is not turn on from the CU,

couple of week ago i bought a new system and change it but still the same it still buzz everytime i turn it on ....

would it be something about interconnection?

please I need your idea ..

thank you

I've changed my old alarm system which is located in my kitchen and

I'd say every smoke alarm (Hardwired) will make bleeping noises when they are first put into service after being installed.

Oops - You mentioned "Buzz" - Sorry.

More information please, are these definitely mains powered alarms , are they linked together with 3 core cable, are they wired in parallel, how many are there , have you checked that all the connections are correct?

More information please, are these definitely mains powered alarms , are they linked together with 3 core cable, are they wired in parallel, how many are there , have you checked that all the connections are correct?
uppss! sorry bout that, yea it is mains power alarm, with 3 core cable and the connection were as follow

live / neutral / interconnection

thanks

You had mains smoke detectors that buzzed so you have replaced them and they still buzz and they have a 3 core interconection, so are the connections correct ? Are they rated at 240v , do they have ordinary back up batts or rechargables.

Deke

Did it bleep from the first moment you switched the new one on or did it it take a few days. Kitchen's (although the obvious place) aren't the best places to install smoke detectectors (smoke, steam etc.) they tend to be better just outside.

Don't mean to be patronising here either but the plugs in the back of those buggers can be tricky to get to stay firmly in place so if you haven't already it may be worth checking that the plugs are staying in when you screw the detector into the base.

I'm sure I also read somewhere that you should isolate the power to some smoke dectectors whilst changing the batteries as the fault condition doesn't clear while they are still powered up...

let us know

The passive infrared detector is the most common detector found for small business environments and household. It offers the best smoke and heat security. For more details visit: commercial fire systems heat & smoke
You`re talking about american systems - are you from that side of the pond? Those detectors are not generally used here, in a domestic environment.

For kichens, you should be fitting fixed heat alarms or rate of heat rise alarms.

The other main domestic options are optical and ionising.

O/P - define "buzzing" please.

KME