downlights in bathroom

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris coates

Reaction score
do the downlights in a bathroom have to be installed with tranformers to lower the voltage or are they safe with a full set of IP65 rated 240volt downlights?

and waht is the ceiling height restriction if a lowered ceiling is going to be installed to house the downlights? from new pvc ceiling to original ceiling height . as lights get hot and could cause a fire if cramped . i am asuming.

thanks

well the lights i am going to buy say they are safe to use in all zones of the bathroom . they are 240volt and IP65 rated. and have a good airflow system design. they sound good.

should i buy to install in a bathroom?

do the downlights in a bathroom have to be installed with tranformers to lower the voltage or are they safe with a full set of IP65 rated 240volt downlights?and waht is the ceiling height restriction if a lowered ceiling is going to be installed to house the downlights? from new pvc ceiling to original ceiling height . as lights get hot and could cause a fire if cramped . i am asuming.

thanks
The 240V fan I fitted today is IP44 and can be fited in zone 2 (wouldn't try it personally) so IP65 is plenty good enough at ceiling height, (especially as you should be 30ma protecting the modified circuit). Check zones in OSG just to confirm it for yourself.

The 240V fan I fitted today is IP44 and can be fited in zone 2 (wouldn't try it personally) so IP65 is plenty good enough at ceiling height, (especially as you should be 30ma protecting the modified circuit). Check zones in OSG just to confirm it for yourself.
Probably a bit off subject but I can't understand why all bathroom circuits should be on 30mA RCD if some circuits are double insulated (e.g. double insulated down lights - shower on RCD). Have I missed something in the regs? Any thoughts?

Chris I would check to see if the fitting are f rated ( it should be marked on them if they are ) also I would be concerned with the heat from the fitting on the PVC ceiling. I used led downlights on a PVC soffit because I was worried about the heat

Probably a bit off subject but I can't understand why all bathroom circuits should be on 30mA RCD if some circuits are double insulated (e.g. double insulated down lights - shower on RCD). Have I missed something in the regs? Any thoughts?
We all know 17th regs are crazy but have to follow them although as you say a lot of bathroom stuff need not be RCD protected but who knows some one with more brains than us.

Batty

I quite like the approach of saying everything should be RCD protected, as trouble with exceptions and exclusions are often too open to interpretation.

and in my oppinion whats the harm of the extra or even over the top protection.

Just my view