pull switch??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicspark

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that, as zone three has been done away with, a normal wall mounted light switch can be used ; or is there some other reg which prohibits it's use?

Depends on situation but if its a bath or shower with a tray zone 2 is from the edge of bath / shower tray to 600mm so this would be outside the zones the 3m is for socket outlets CJS

Think Andy is on the money with the three metre rule, but they give an exceptable IP rating for each zone, so as long as meets the relevent IP rating, would think you could use it within the zone. So theoretically as long as rated to IPX7 or higher you could put the switch in the bath ? :)

Think Andy is on the money with the three metre rule, but they give an exceptable IP rating for each zone, so as long as meets the relevent IP rating, would think you could use it within the zone. So theoretically as long as rated to IPX7 or higher you could put the switch in the bath ? :)
yes :D

as long as its not in a zone its ok, the three meter rule is for socket outlets, but you have to consider the external influences and the environment that the switch is in.

3 Metres from the outside of zone 2 is the only place that can have non pull cord accessories (dont quote Me though) OSG should tell you.AndyGuiness Drink
Incorrect fact I am afraid! :_|

3M rule is for SOCKET OUTLETS!

Last sentence of 701.512.3 Page 167. Big Red!

Excluding SELV & Shaver supply units, Socket outlets must be 3m from boundary of zone 1!

Am I right in thinking that, as zone three has been done away with, a normal wall mounted light switch can be used ; or is there some other reg which prohibits it's use?
Even in the old regs...

BROWN BOOK page 135..

ZONE 3 could have a wall mounted switch...

Providing water jets are not used for washing down walls..

e.g. communal bathrooms.....

p.s. we don't jet wash down our bathroom walls!!!!

and I personally Don't know anyone in the Domestic world who does...

Apache might????? :eek: :| he's a bit strange.... vet you know!!!! ]:)

Maybe incorrect but if I live by that rule then I cant really go wrong can I? tired here, havent got My regs book handy whence the reason why I said not to quote Me. :) AndyGuiness Drink
Indeed you are Zee!:DGuiness DrinkROTFWL

Red book

Page 167

(i) Zone 0: IPX7 needed (temporary immersion)

(ii) Zone 1 and 2: IPX4: (protection against SPLASHING water!)

Shavers can go in ZONE 2 if no direct spray likely!

If any water jets likely... (e.g. washing down communal stuff need IPX5 )

other than that... outside of zones.. e.g. 600mm from edge of ZONE 1 you can fit what you like, providing it is NOT a socket outlet!

:D :)

I have a bottle of surgical scrub in my shower if I come home really manky! :D

Not resorted to pressure washer yet :D
hmmm?

Surgical scrub!!!!!

thats something we haven't got in our shower....

shall have to get some me thinks....

It Apaches got some... Then I want some!!!!!Blushing:p

whats the best price for Surgical scrub? ; \

any for sale on TEF!Blushing] :)

I personally will not put any standard switch in a bathroom. I don't care what regs say commen sense says they should not be in there.

Batty

I personally will not put any standard switch in a bathroom. I don't care what regs say commen sense says they should not be in there. Batty
Not sure I would agree with that statement any more than I would say that common sense says you shouldn't.....

Put a wall switch or a socket in a kitchen with a sink in it and associated cooking steam, fats and grease build up over accessories...

Or a wall switch / socket in a Utility room with sink / washing machine / tumble drier and associated steam / humidity etc...

Or a wall switch in a downstairs cloakroom with a toilet & hand basin...

Or a wall switch near a external door way or porch, that could have damp issues, or persons coming in from outside with wet hands / clothing...

Your average domestic bathroom is NOT a place with water dripping down the walls...

or they would ALL by mighty damp and mouldy IMHO! :( :|

IF common sense said you shouldn't IMHO the regs would also say you shouldn't;) :)

Not sure I would agree with that statement any more than I would say that common sense says you shouldn't.....Put a wall switch or a socket in a kitchen with a sink in it and associated cooking steam, fats and grease build up over accessories...

Or a wall switch / socket in a Utility room with sink / washing machine / tumble drier and associated steam / humidity etc...

Or a wall switch in a downstairs cloakroom with a toilet & hand basin...

Or a wall switch near a external door way or porch, that could have damp issues, or persons coming in from outside with wet hands / clothing...

Your average domestic bathroom is NOT a place with water dripping down the walls...

or they would ALL by mighty damp and mouldy IMHO! :( :|

IF common sense said you shouldn't IMHO the regs would also say you shouldn't;) :)
Just remembering when my children were young how they used to splash water about. If you put a switch 600mm from a bath with young children about I think the result may not be good. I understand what you are saying but to me no standard switch should be put in a bathroom.