MCS accreditation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuP

Reaction score
anyone thinking about getting MCS accreditation by NICEIC??

Recently applied and hope to be one of the first to be able to offer this service in line with forthcoming feed-in tariff in April 2010 to our clients as we install solar photovoltaic systems.

Don't C&G do a course for those systems had a thing through post last year about joining a course.Batty
Yes they do mate. Have a look in our Directory of UK College, I have listed the colleges that offer it, the Course Number and the actual name of the course. ;)

it stands for Microgeneration Certification Scheme basically if you produce electricity yourself (solar, wind thermal etc) as from April 2010 under the Feed-in-Tariff you will receive upto 36.5p per unit (compared to about 4p at moment) but needs to be installed by MCS approved contractors. UK is one of only European countries not to have feed in tariff and has really kickstarted renewable technology in places such as germany, spain etc - good times! however, it looks like all joe public's unit prices will rise by 20% to offset this hike - bad times! cap your rates now if you can.

i looked into doing it last year. I rang a training provider about it, and thats when i got put off. NICEIC accredited course, one day on how to connect up another day on manual handling, so i get taught to lift things and read the manufactures instructions??????

Then i got told you HAD to be a AC to connect them as DIs were not suitable for this type of thing.

That put my right off. Now my scheme is offering the same sort of thing, i am interested in renewables but not much call for it round here at the moment as most of my customers in nice big good looking houses (the only ones that can afford it) do not want these panels which take forever to pay for themselves making their house look crap. I can see it being big in the future i am just undecided if it will be in my lifetime. I am willing to be persuaded otherwise...

anyone thinking about getting MCS accreditation by NICEIC??Recently applied and hope to be one of the first to be able to offer this service in line with forthcoming feed-in tariff in April 2010 to our clients as we install solar photovoltaic systems.
Can't help with the accreditation other than to say if its like any other NICEIC registration then they will send you a list of things to do - comply and pass. Its really that simple, and of course they will want to see a job or two.

Out of interest - are you getting any business from this line of work?? I ask because I'm interested in this line of work myself.

Can't help with the accreditation other than to say if its like any other NICEIC registration then they will send you a list of things to do - comply and pass. Its really that simple, and of course they will want to see a job or two_Out of interest - are you getting any business from this line of work?? I ask because I'm interested in this line of work myself.
Yes, a fair few over past 4 years mainly commercial/local authority projects - but it will get much bigger next year when feed in tariff kicks in giving upto 36.5p per unit for each unit produced on grdi connected systems. Currently get about 4p per unit so masive insrease. Plus government has pledged another 5p per unit on top - expect our energy prices to go up though to offset!!!

Do you have any links on where i can find more information on whats involved in MCS accredited work?

Thanks

Yes, a fair few over past 4 years mainly commercial/local authority projects - but it will get much bigger next year when feed in tariff kicks in giving upto 36.5p per unit for each unit produced on grdi connected systems. Currently get about 4p per unit so masive insrease. Plus government has pledged another 5p per unit on top - expect our energy prices to go up though to offset!!!
In your experience how much will that reduce pay-back times?

In your experience how much will that reduce pay-back times?
currently about 80 year will bring down to 20...this will only get better with better more efficient technology and rising fuel costs...

Have you actually installed any small wind turbines on domestic properety in built up areas? Do owners suffer vibration when attached to a building, and how did you find building control?

Have you actually installed any small wind turbines on domestic properety in built up areas? Do owners suffer vibration when attached to a building, and how did you find building control?
Not done any wind turbines - don't think that long term this will account for most market share. PV solar is the future as no moving parts and most systems are guaranteed for 20-25 years which is the same as the feed-in tariff. Wind turbines have noise, moving parts/wear etc and subsequent maintenance issues. Initial figures show solar accounting for about 80% of renwables market by 2042.

doing a whole roof in pv's would look fine imo

off set the cost of the tiles atleast

Not done any wind turbines - don't think that long term this will account for most market share. PV solar is the future as no moving parts and most systems are guaranteed for 20-25 years which is the same as the feed-in tariff. Wind turbines have noise, moving parts/wear etc and subsequent maintenance issues. Initial figures show solar accounting for about 80% of renwables market by 2042.
Have been trying to get registered with sharp as an installer of their products but don't even get a reply - ignorant swines.