type of fuse?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek13

Reaction score
evening all, been with a sparky mate of mine today to house were the owner is looking to have board replaced just went for a quick nosey with him really it was an old style board and not being too familiar with fuses other than modern mcbs had a look at the lighting fuse which has 2 pins and also has a small plug top like fuse inside it which was 13 amp:O, would i be right in thinking this is a cartrige fuse? and secondly both upstairs and downstairs lights off the same fuse with 3-1mm cables going into the fuse? kitchen alone had 10 50w lights in wen u include the whole house would u think its very close to its limit?

thanks for your help , basically just tryna recognise each type of fuse to keep learning . cheers

yes they was coded red mate and as i say 2 pins one at each end which u can just pull out by gripping at top and bottom. so definately a hrc board ? was this common on older houses ? it defo also had a 13amp cartrige (plug top) fuse inserted into it would that then be the total rating for that circuit?

thankyou both for replies much appreciated

If it was red it would be a 30A carrier , a 13A would be too small to fit. The rating of the fuse determined the size of the cartridge to prevent danger, also the fixed base matches the carrier to prevent crossovers. White = 5A , Blue = 15A , red = 30A .

These boards were excellent and offer close protection to circuits. Still a good option in industry sometimes.

well the cover for the lighting fuse was missing but the other four or five circuits were all red and all 30 amp fuses .so dont really know if it was a five amp fuse coz no front for the fuse but 100% it was a 13 amp fuse inside so am guessing that is the rating for that fuse??

Latest posts