Splitting incoming tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appleby

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have job to do next week that requires me to split the main incomer tails. line and neutral in, 1 pair of line and neutral out to house consumer unit and 1 pair of line and neutral to shed (swa).

what do you you guys prefer to use for this and have you got a link to it?

thanks.

Hello everyone.I have job to do next week that requires me to split the main incomer tails. line and neutral in, 1 pair of line and neutral out to house consumer unit and 1 pair of line and neutral to shed (swa).

what do you you guys prefer to use for this and have you got a link to it?

thanks.
What are the distances..

e.g. Incomer to CU

incomer to shed?

?:| :|

There are purpose made units for sale rated at 100 amp for this very purpose.

We used to call them Henly Blocks because this was the major manufacturer of these connectors.

Now they are known as service connector blocks, henly blocks or even cutout connectors, they come in two, four, or six ways and are rated at 100amps.

Some others are going to come on line and give you other names for them

approx 25-30 metres
This is the shed distance I presume..

is the CU within 3metres of the incommer...?

if yes. the as GH says...

I would just split with Henley blocks and continue CU supply through...

Then take shed supply from Henley block to fused isolator switch then shed cable.

There are purpose made units for sale rated at 100 amp for this very purpose.We used to call them Henly Blocks because this was the major manufacturer of these connectors.

Now they are known as service connector blocks, henly blocks or even cutout connectors, they come in two, four, or six ways and are rated at 100amps.

Some others are going to come on line and give you other names for them
:D

e.g.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Connector_Blocks/index.html

This is the shed distance I presume..is the CU within 3metres of the incommer...?

if yes. the as GH says...

I would just split with Henley blocks and continue CU supply through...

Then take shed supply from Henley block to fused isolator switch then shed cable.
Hello Special Location. yes the shed is 25-30 metres, the cu is right next the incommer. it is 80A TNS supply - new cut out. apparently they recently had an upgrade from 60A to a, 80A.

I agree with your suggestion of suppy to henly block, then onto a fused (40A) isolator (RCD).

Thank you for your input.

From the detail we have here.

Would say your approach is a great one technically, but is maybe a bit over kill and potentialy an expensive solution.

That said you have seen the job and you clearly have a high level of competance, and have seen the job, so go with what you think is correct.

From the detail we have here.Would say your approach is a great one technically, but is maybe a bit over kill and potentialy an expensive solution.

That said you have seen the job and you clearly have a high level of competance, and have seen the job, so go with what you think is correct.
I need my eyes tested - I thought that said potentially and Expolsive :eek: Solution.

How would you do it, Russell?

Mrs Admin went to town (Again) this morning, and couldn't help help but giggle.

She said there was a Man and a Woman outside of "Specsavers", where the chap tried opening the door, but couldn't.

The Lady asked him what Time it opened, to which he replied "I don't know - I can't see the Opening times".

The Lady replies "Where's your glasses".

He says back, "That's why I am here, to see if I need any".

As I said I have not seen it, but given the cost of the cable and larger accesories, I'd be inclined to split out into a box with a suitably sized protective device and then run a smaller SWA cable to a board in the shed. If the geography allowed I'd bring a sub main from the houses distribution board.

If they only want 8 doubles and a lighting cct then that could be a 16A radial and 6A circuit if using a builders type CU. That could be fed from a 20A or 32A spare way on the current CU (without RCD ideally) using 4mm or 6mm taking into account voltdrop.

Please also keep in mind that it currently is an 80A supply but that could be changed to 100A in the future so you should do any cable calcs based on that.

Ian.

You cannot take the main supply away from the house so if it was 80 amp main fuse you cannot take that to another building. The max I would take away would be 60 amp any more than that you need to get another supply put on.

Batty