Just when you think things are getting better.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We thought it would have to happen but its still bad news for Brum, the Jaguar Plant or Land Rover to close down . I'm guessing the Jaguar myself, then later, the owners will move Land Rover to India. :(

Apparently not too many workers found other jobs after Rover Cars went mammery glands up !!

Can't see the government shelling out again. Still there will be plenty of land to build even more shopping malls so people without jobs can go and buy stuff they don't need with money they 'aint got !

Still ,as the government said , all the immigrants are good for our economy so we won't be having a problem in Brum.

Deke

Yes heard the news on 5 live not good news at all, all the local MP bloke could say was something about

"yes well 800 jobs will be made when the relocation goes ahead"

Having worked in a few car plants i do feel for the manual workers. In times gone by when summer shutdown was on the car parks were empty, now there is no difference, so many un-productive workers ie: designers, IT support, HR, H&S etc the list goes on. And still the farmers want us to buy British goods out of thier Merc, Renault etc vans at the Farmers market.

I heard on the Real Radio Wales (105-106fm) News Today too. :_|

When the Rover Plant closed at Longbridge 6000 jobs went (I believe) but I heard the other day that 30,000 jobs disapeared from what was the supply chain.

The number of big employers that have disappeard from here is worrying , Dunlop, Rover, HP Sauce, Ansells Brewery,Davenports Brewery, Bass Charrington, Cincinatti M/c Tools , Alfred Herbert, IMI, Bill Switchgear, Crabtree, Lucas Electrical, British Steel, GEC , Metro-Camel, LDV Vans, Triumph, Norton, Vellocette, Parkinson Cowan, bloody hell its frightening.

Having worked in a few car plants i do feel for the manual workers. In times gone by when summer shutdown was on the car parks were empty, now there is no difference, so many un-productive workers ie: designers, IT support, HR, H&S etc the list goes on. And still the farmers want us to buy British goods out of thier Merc, Renault etc vans at the Farmers market.
Name me a 'British' van they could buy?

The Ford Transit Van plant in Soton was one of the few profitable Ford plants in Europe, Its been a few years since I worked there but they still make em! LDV were a good van in thier time, lots of history there. The choices were made decades ago, as I was in the automotive industry I still bought British but could only ever afford second hand. Instead of rubbishing this country we should have got behind it then some of the engineering and manufacturing would still be here.

And I know Ford is American!
I was going to say that! The problem is there is no such thing as a 100% British production car.

I can go on at great length why British food is superior, in terms of safety, welfare, the environment etc etc

I'v been lucky enough to work overseas and there are a few differences and the minus points for us are bad management and lack of investment. Our workforce are as good as any and better than most. The technical excellence of this country cannot be argued against. We just believe the press and are governed by fear tactics.

I do not know enough about food stuffs to doubt you but is the following true?

Does this excellent food include foot and mouth? I believe imported from South America by a greedy British farmer wanting even more profit and not worried where his animal feed came from

I'v been lucky enough to work overseas and there are a few differences and the minus points for us are bad management and lack of investment. Our workforce are as good as any and better than most. The technical excellence of this country cannot be argued against. We just believe the press and are governed by fear tactics.I do not know enough about food stuffs to doubt you but is the following true?

Does this excellent food include foot and mouth? I believe imported from South America by a greedy British farmer wanting even more profit and not worried where his animal feed came from
Technical excellence of this country? Could use a few examples here because it's just not coming to me.

As far as cars go the British couldn't build a decent car if their lives depended on it. Can't remember the last decent British car. In fact, I can't think of ANY decent British car full stop! Rover being an example of what happens when people don't want to buy sh1te anymore.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but this country just can't do anything of merit these days apart from be Chav capital of Europe. At least we excel at that.

Why do you think BMW bought Land Rover? To get the best 4 wheel drive technology in the world, again bad management of the Jag especially is holding them back, thats why the BMW was the best for a while, ther are more F1 competitors in this country than anywhere else (I think). Biz now will think on!