Claim on scheme operators warranty

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Does anybody know if any of the P scheme operators have had any claims against the warranty that we all have to stump up for (if your niceic you do) per job?

Only asking as I'm not aware of any such case & dont know the process....................well not untill a customer of mine (the one I did the pir for & I posted about on here) started the ball rolling so's to speak.

Should be interesting.

Does anybody know if any of the P scheme operators have had any claims against the warranty that we all have to stump up for (if your niceic you do) per job?Only asking as I'm not aware of any such case & dont know the process....................well not untill a customer of mine (the one I did the pir for & I posted about on here) started the ball rolling so's to speak.

Should be interesting.
why have they started the ball rolling against you M

No not against me badge.

Customer had some work done a year or so ago, now wants to sell property but hasnt had any certs as yet from the bloke who did the sparking, gives him a call & is told "oh I cant do a certificate as I've let my niceic membership lapse".

So I get a call from customer asking if I'd cert the work...."No but I'll do a pir"

so I do the pir and find shed loads of problems with the new electrical work (Patch will find the post about it i'm sure) & let customer know of the problems he has. Customer jumps up and down as I've had to put unsatisfactory on the report so he gets in contact with the bloke who did the work & finds out the bloke has stopped trading.

So the customer is now not wanting to pay for any work that has to be done, so has been advised by BC to contact niceic with the view to claiming on the warranty.

No not against me badge.Customer had some work done a year or so ago, now wants to sell property but hasnt had any certs as yet from the bloke who did the sparking, gives him a call & is told "oh I cant do a certificate as I've let my niceic membership lapse".

So I get a call from customer asking if I'd cert the work...."No but I'll do a pir"

so I do the pir and find shed loads of problems with the new electrical work (Patch will find the post about it i'm sure) & let customer know of the problems he has. Customer jumps up and down as I've had to put unsatisfactory on the report so he gets in contact with the bloke who did the work & finds out the bloke has stopped trading.

So the customer is now not wanting to pay for any work that has to be done, so has been advised by BC to contact niceic with the view to claiming on the warranty.
Was he ever registered though if his work is that bad I would think he has never been registered at all.

Batty

I never mention the warranty , M, TBH. I'm not an insurance salesman and Elecsa don't seem to push it either.
I was told by ELECSA that I had to mention it to all cmrs with noticeable work as it was the law. They suggested just putting a copy of the leaflet on any invoice/quote.

I was told by ELECSA that I had to mention it to all cmrs with noticeable work as it was the law. They suggested just putting a copy of the leaflet on any invoice/quote.
Thats what I thought too. Personally I give customer a warranty for the work I do.

Batty

Be very carefull here guys as to what you think you do and what you actually do.

Any warranty issued for any item or service must be written, and countersigned.

After all it is an agreement which is legally binding and often insurance backed.

(with all the usuall omissions and conditions).

Make sure with your scheme providers that you are including this warranty and to what value and of all the conditions.

Members themselves are not involved in the selling etc of any warranty.

All they are doing is introducing it to the client via leaflet etc, and its up to them to organise it if they want it.

Plus the warranty is only against breach of compliance with Part P and nothing else.

Members themselves are not involved in the selling etc of any warranty.All they are doing is introducing it to the client via leaflet etc, and its up to them to organise it if they want it.

Plus the warranty is only against breach of compliance with Part P and nothing else.
I actually issue a certificate but as you say its a limited insurance but that why it only costs a few hundred pounds a year.

Batty

The NICEIC give a warranty for all works carried out by a domestic installer and is included in the building compliance notification as standard.

I understand that some other scheme providers offer this as a supplement or optional addition.

As such even if the electrician is not now doing the work, the warranty will still be valid for as long as the warranty is in effect.