Awkward Situation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
Just finished first fix on a full rewire. Customer has arranged for a plasterer to come in, now when the job started i understood that the place would be fully plastered in between first and second fix.

Now the customer is wanting the plasterer to fill the chases but not have them and the rest of the wall skimmed and finished until some time in the future. i see this as causing an issue to the fitted accessorys and the wiring. Made it clear that im not entirly happy with the situation. What do i do? go ahead and second fix but restrict the warrenty on anything affected, or stand my ground?

second fix if he wants it he knows the risks and if its damaged it not down to u

I'v just second fixed an un-decorated house with brushed steel accessories after arguing that it should be after decoration but no the painter was right he is careful and good and yes accessories covered in paint. I sent an email, with a read reciept request, and got the reply saying ok go ahead. Customer knew decorator so trusted him, you should do what customer says but have it in writing.

As Tom says Just do what the customer requests.....

either that or the customer will get another electrician in to do it!!!

Even if you did all your second fix after skimming etc....

there is nothing stopping the customer getting another decorator in two months later steam stripping any wallpaper. re painting...

drilling holes and generally messing up the accessories again anyway!!! :| :(

IF or when they try to get you to repair or replace any faulty items...

If you consider they have been damaged by unreasonable usage then you don't replace them F.O.C!

;)

get them to sign the completion with notes describing the situation take some phone pics as back up if the worst

I have not replied to this thread because I have very personal views as to the problem you face.

This has happened to almost every electrician, and against our valued advise, we are left with only two choices.

A, second fix regardless

B, give some excuses and come back later to second fix.

Problem is, as we all know is the cash flow problems, I have some clients that take an adverage of three months to pay, others pay within 7 days, others normally use the full advantage of the 30 days terms.

My advise to you would be to second fix regardless, get them to sign a document stating that your full and explicit recomendations where against this action, and you fully agree and conform to the clients wishes, even though you have advised otherwise.

Latest posts