rewires

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
when doing a rewire, do you guys change all back boxes and capping etc, or if its possible to pull the cables through the original capping and the original backbox is in good condition, do you leave it in?

thanks

Probably more hassle than its worth most of the time, but if you can re-use old conduit runs it saves a lot of work, and damage to decor. would doubt you would get a cable through capping because plaster at ends tends to jam old cable in place. As for back boxes - if in good condition why change (unless wooden of course)

When your lucky enough, a lot of older houses had metal capping.

I always try and re use the cable runs IF there within zones.

Box's i always replace. unsure why, its just habbit, for sake of pence might aswell change them.

Depends on whats reqd. If flat plates being used socket back box's need to be 35mm deep and 25mmm on switchs. Always ues 25mm on switchs anyhow. Try to always use exsiting conduit/capping on switch drops. Dont remember using it on sockets though, always raise them again depending on whats reqd

thanks guys, and do you guys use wall chasers to chase out, or just sds drill on chisel?

Again it depends, I use a wall chaser (Sparky make) and find it very good especially if plaster a bit loose or blown, you need a good hoover, it is still a bit dusty though. SDS when not so much to do, dust about the same. When lived in its a bit tricky not to make dust so its in the estimate about dust and they have to sign to say ok.

all depends on whats what.

Where i used to work we had a wall chaser, 2 blade job put it on and up you go. with a hoover on, v little dust. but still had to get SDS chisel on go afterwards to cut it down back

So a Good SDS Chaseing Chisel would do the trick i would say :)

Again it depends, I use a wall chaser (Sparky make) and find it very good especially if plaster a bit loose or blown, you need a good hoover, it is still a bit dusty though. SDS when not so much to do, dust about the same. When lived in its a bit tricky not to make dust so its in the estimate about dust and they have to sign to say ok.
Those sparky chaser are not very good. Had one on a job, old house first time I used it filled room with dust. It was a replacement for a metabo that was out of action. Sent it back to sf and brought a makita. I think you need a high powered vacuum if you are using one. My Henry copes with makita and metabo chasers with very little dust, use it all the time with no problems.

Batty

scutch are good and cheap, i started out stich drilling, grinding and bashing. messy. scutch is far better.

worth having one in the box

A stright forward rewire is replacement of existing cables with new.

So if your ever beaten on a quote it would normaly be from bob the builder who has no concept of building regulations and still think its acceptable to have only one socket outlet in each room.

Whilst we are victims of part P ie paying the fees and being registered, we have very little say in how the system is controlled, one day may be, way past my lifespan, some government body will stand up and be counted, and actually enforce the rules.

Part P is a joke paid for by US who are willing to put our names to the scheme.

Unfortunately we have to do it, otherwise we can not be registered.

My insurance and NICEIC fees per year amount to over