2391 + Part P

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacon

Reaction score
I'm taking the 2391 end of November 5 day course i'm just wondering if i would still need part P for domestic installations or would the 2391 cover it?

2 complete different things in my eyes

Part P is building reg (or part of)

2391 is Inspection and testing.

So from that i take it that part P would be needed to carry out domestic work.

Thanks for reply

i wouldnt say needed, as the once you register with a scheme your covered by the scheme.

Although ive personally got it.

My lecturer was Talking to our area NICEIC assessor.

He stated that the NICEIC would be happy to accept anyone on their Domestic installer scheme that hold the following three Certs:

1. City & Guilds (C&G) 2382-10 17th Edition Electrical Wiring Regulations BS7671 OR

City & Guilds (C&G) 2382-20 16th to 17th Edition Update

2. City & Guilds (C&G) 2393-10 (2393) Certificate in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings - Level 3 (Part P)

3. City & Guilds (C&G) 2392 Fundamental Inspection and Testing

If you have your regs and 2391 you are eligable to join a scheme so once assesed and excepted you are covered for Part P

So from that i take it that part P would be needed to carry out domestic work.Thanks for reply
As already stated Part P is a Building Regulation not a QUALIFICATIONheadbangheadbangheadbang

Bacon,

Don't get confussed with 'Part P', it is just one part of the building regulations for electrical safety. The 2391 is a high level electrical qualification.

No qualified electrician should need to complete a 'Part P' course to prove that they are competent to carry out work that falls under 'Part P' of the building Regualtions electrical safety. Competency would have already been proven with their electrical qualifications.

Limited scope members of schemes (i.e. kitchen fitters etc) maybe required to prove competency under 'Part P' and be required to do a short course.

Hope this helps!

WarrenG

I know with the NICEIC at least that they will waive the requirment for 2391 if you can demonstrate to your assesor that you have what they deem to be a high level of competence for testing, also it is generally recognised that 2392 demonstrates competence to complete certificates for your own work. 2391 is considered the qualification to have if you are engaged in periodic testing.

With regards to the NICEIC registration, I work for the MOD and i don't think they would take to somebody going around various base's checking on my installation work i do.

All of the schemes to the best of my knowledge will require work to asses, we work at two RAF bases and they have allowed us to take the NICEIC inspector on to the bases with prior arrangement.

All of the schemes to the best of my knowledge will require work to asses, we work at two RAF bases and they have allowed us to take the NICEIC inspector on to the bases with prior arrangement.
I work on a nuclear site and unless they are security cleared they can't get on the site any more.

Calm down your do yourself an injury.
Haven't finished yet day like I've had today

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

headbangheadbangheadbangheadbang headbangheadbangheadbangheadbang headbangheadbangheadbangheadbang headbangheadbangheadbangheadbang headbangheadbangheadbangheadbang

Can't have had a worse day than me Septic....

down a coal mine with 47 kids. :(

i would headbang but ive already got a stinking headache!!

:)

Most of our work gets shipped out to afgan and base's over the world