flooded underfloor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
went to a job the other week, at an absolute dive of a house. downstairs sockets kept tripping. The whole downstairs laminated floor. Narrowed it down to a link between 2 sockets very low IR. Customer shows me to a hatch so i could investigate and repair, open it up an its full of water under the floor about 4-5inch deep aswell as lots of rubbish. How common it that? Never seen it myself before. He did expect me to go down which wasn't happening. Removed link and now 2 radials on 20amp mcb.

You have reminded me of another Delboy and Rodney moment with that post , Sellers.

Working in Llandudno some years ago for friends who had opened a guest house. In the cellar the guy asks if I know what this thin brass tape is nailed around the cellar and why is this doorbell not wired to the front door ? In my ignorance I said it made no sense , no batts in the doorbell ,its nothing, don't worry about it.

Two years later he phones to say he now knows what the tape and bell was for , cellar now full of seawater , fire brigade pumping out, brigade bloke says when water rises it shorts out tapes and rings bell, you insert pump and remove water.

Well it was no good asking me was it , never seen that set up before, the tide doesn't tend to rise very high in Birmingham does it !!!!

Different situation but had cables running under wooden floor that had been chewed by mice luckily managed to pull a new cable through tied to the other one so did not have to take floor up. Lady said she hard heard mice about shame she did not put any poison down.

Batty

haha!! So is this uncommon?? I've been under a few floors before and they've been fine

I had one last year, cause of basement flood?

The fire brigade, the house almost burned down which is why it was being renovated, the water they used to put out the fire just settled in the basement, there were gallons of the stuff.

(not a sign of a water cable though) ROTFWL

Private joke:_|

I had one last year, cause of basement flood?The fire brigade, the house almost burned down which is why it was being renovated, the water they used to put out the fire just settled in the basement, there were gallons of the stuff.

not especially private GH

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5872

:D

We recently had a fair amount of cellars/houses with floods...

summer 2007 in sheffield

quick google search

had a few calls out to that one asking if we could get electric back on! LOL

I had one last year, cause of basement flood?The fire brigade, the house almost burned down which is why it was being renovated, the water they used to put out the fire just settled in the basement, there were gallons of the stuff.

Yer I have heard that one before.

;)

went to a job the other week, at an absolute dive of a house. downstairs sockets kept tripping. The whole downstairs laminated floor. Narrowed it down to a link between 2 sockets very low IR. Customer shows me to a hatch so i could investigate and repair, open it up an its full of water under the floor about 4-5inch deep aswell as lots of rubbish. How common it that? Never seen it myself before. He did expect me to go down which wasn't happening. Removed link and now 2 radials on 20amp mcb.
seen flooded voids under floors many times. done a job a while back where i ended up re-wiring downstairs ring, every cable was faulty

doesnt the flooding under the floor need sorting out before rewiring? Otherwise the cable will more than likely fail again.