Services in a trench

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Anybody know of any building regulation that will stop a swa submain & a water supply sharing the same trench?

Not that I am aware, M.

I seem to recall this being discusse on here before?

Where's our Patch? :)

Yes 150mm (although cant remember where I picked that up from) thats what I've put in a quote, but the customer has called & said they've been told there has to be 1 meters seperation in the same trench or seperate trenches? :|

New one on me.

There is only one difference, and that is depth of buried supply.

Most new water supplies in plasic have to be buried far deeper than any elecxtrical cable.

So in essence an electric cable can be buried alongside a water cable without any seperation requirements other than the bs 7671 wiring regulations as to seperation from other services, which I would suggest is only 50mm.

Yes 150mm (although cant remember where I picked that up from) thats what I've put in a quote, but the customer has called & said they've been told there has to be 1 meters seperation in the same trench or seperate trenches? :| New one on me.
In the words of my Chinese friends "Vats O Rowd Ov Borrox"!

If you have a copy of Guidance note 1, Selection & erection

page 107 has an example of typical layouts & depths of services in a 2m wide footpath...

which is a picture like this!

which is from the "National Joint utilities group". (JUG) agreed guidance for depth colour etc, etc, for preferred use in public highways..

Their guidance only has 860mm seperation!!!!

Although this again is just guidance... if less than 1m is OK under the public highway then it surly its ok for other private ducts. ;)

I cannot see any specific reg or guidance in BIG RED or Guidance note 1

which stipulates a specific depth or seperation..

Just the normal common sense stuff such as take account of....

probability of ground movement.

surface traffic.

adjacent foundations.

likelihood of digging, manual or mechanical..

etc.

Most important that whatever is buried, it is clearly marked, as to its route depth etc... and Identified on plans or drawings for later reference! :| ;)

At the end of the day I think its a bit of an individual discretion type choice!

but I may have to sit with my pants on my head for a week if some other more cleverer person can provide better info! :| ;)

There is only one difference, and that is depth of buried supply.Most new water supplies in plasic have to be buried far deeper than any elecxtrical cable.

So in essence an electric cable can be buried alongside a water cable without any seperation requirements other than the bs 7671 wiring regulations as to seperation from other services, which I would suggest is only 50mm.
is that a new style of cable or something, :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

is that a new style of cable or something, :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O
They are designed specifically for use on Water beds. :)

Lol I never saw that ROTFWL

now that would be a thing wonder if its already patented.