Single phase to Run 3 phase lathe

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Spark

Reaction score
Can anyone help on this please,

Brother in law has just phoned me, he wants to buy a three phase Wilson Lathe off Ebay and apparently it should be able to run on single phase and the seller told him he needs a VFD.

Now I am not 100% sure but am thinking that the VFD is just a Variable frequency Drive which will just control the speed, so possibly the seller is confused and actually has three phase supply.

So does anyone know a way (apart from DNO upgrading supply) that will be easy and cheap to get this lathe working?

an inverter can output 3phase from a single phase input. not cheap tho

Single to 3 phase Inverters.

There are several out there - Not Cheap - one being Isomatic.Rages from

Thanks guys,

just found some inverters from a seller on an auction site. Will need to know from Bro specs off lathe and tell him the bad news of cost.

Have any of you got experience with these types of installs? Looking at brief specs of digital inverter so thinking might only need to get Emergency stop button as an addition to basic electrical supply stuff.

Make sure the motor on the lathe will run (wired in star) on 230V 3ph - on the name plate voltage will be stated as 230/400 (or 240/415). If it will then the inverter route will work.

Other option is to change the motor for a single phase, ask seller for motor frame size (D114 or whatever from name plate), see if there is a direct replacement.

Make sure the motor on the lathe will run (wired in star) on 230V 3ph - on the name plate voltage will be stated as 230/400 (or 240/415). If it will then the inverter route will work. Other option is to change the motor for a single phase, ask seller for motor frame size (D114 or whatever from name plate), see if there is a direct replacement.
doesn't matter if its dual voltage or not.

the inverter will give out 415

doesn't matter if its dual voltage or not.the inverter will give out 415
I don't think you are correct, single phase in then 230V 3 phase out.

The motor would need to be connected in delta not star.

You can also use a Converter, which works in a slightly different manner to an Inverter, and may be cheaper.

If its a small lathe I think changing the motor may be the cheaper option . There are outlets around that do used and refurbed motors etc. One in Brum under Spaghetti Junction.

If its a small lathe I think changing the motor may be the cheaper option . There are outlets around that do used and refurbed motors etc. One in Brum under Spaghetti Junction.
Can you tell me whereabouts or do you know company name as i often go that way as my liitle sister lives in Erdington.

Unit 4-5 , Beverley House, 133-135 Tyburn Road, Erdington, B24 8NQ.

Tel; 0121 328 3343 Its called CURRENT. But no sign yet. Guys name is Bob I think. Hard to spot without a sign, you need to be approaching Spaghetti from Erdington ,on Tyburn Road A38 , look for a sign saying UNIT TO LET, its between the start of the slip road to CITY and the original traffic island. Avoid going up onto Spaghetti itself as you will never be seen again.

We are working just up the road at the moment, had a look in there, he's a sparks who takes out half decent gear from closed premises and flogs it.

Deke

doesn't matter if its dual voltage or not.the inverter will give out 415
You're right if we're talking top end, money's no object - I suspect we're not!

Economy end 1/3ph inverters kick out 230V 3ph - not having a transformer in there helps the costs considerably!

Is a converter one of those that uses a 3ph wound rotor motor?
Yes, called a Rotary Converter, that is what I use for my 3 phase lathe from a single phase supple. Not the most efficient of things, but it works. There used to be a guy on e-bay who sells them, not sure if he still does.

Cheers Steve

You're right if we're talking top end, money's no object - I suspect we're not!Economy end 1/3ph inverters kick out 230V 3ph - not having a transformer in there helps the costs considerably!
;)

but as you say there are cheaper ways B-)

just to say thanks to all the helpful posts on here, probably thinking that change of motor to single phase may be best and easiest option then.