Bathroom Fans

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revved Up Sparky

Reaction score
I have done a lot of rewires and upgrades for local authority housing associations, most of which insist on a fan being installed in the kitchen and bathroom.

Is there a regulation in BS7671 (17th edition) that states that a fan MUST be installed in a bathroom ?.... or a kitchen ?.

Any advice gratefully received.

Dont think its a wiring regulation, it comes under Part F(Ventilation) of building regs.

Its a Building Reg , Reverend, All rooms subject to condensation must have means of mechanical ventilation . On a kitchen refurb the cooker hood is acceptable for Building Control. Although fans are often fitted in toilets I don't think they are mandatory if an opening window exists. Not sure on that one.

Hi Reverand sparky,

just been looking at Part F document for you;) Page 10, section 1.5 states that

" Extract ventilation to outside is required for each kitchen, utility room, bathroom and sanitary accomodation. The extraction can be either intermittent or continuosly operating." Blah blah blah... then it says minimum extract rates in table 1.1 as follows

For intermittent extraction

Kitchen 30 l/s next to hob 60 l/s elsewhere

Bathroom 15 l/s

utitlity 30l/s

Sanitary accom 6l/s

For continuos extract

Kitchen 13 ls

Bathroom 8 ls

utility 8 l/s

Sanitary 6 ls

Hope this helps mate

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate your help. So when you do a Periodic Inspection Report on a property and find a bathroom without a fan (and little or no windows) do you report it on page 2 as an observation even though the regulations that govern this are not in BS7671 ?.

I would say NO , Your Reverend, we have enough paperwork as it is, without starting to observe departures from the Building Regs, ventilation regs. are nothing to do with the Sparks, IMHO . Just stick to the leckie stuff.

Again I shout from the rooftops , WE ARE NOT THE ELECTRIC POLICE Have you seen the amount of crap we have to assimilate already without doing surveyors jobs.

As others have said its nothing to do with you same with smokes. If I do a rewire I recommend I put them in but if customer does not want to pay you can't make them although with my wiring its a damn good idea.

Batty

As others have said its nothing to do with you same with smokes. If I do a rewire I recommend I put them in but if customer does not want to pay you can't make them although with my wiring its a damn good idea.Batty
Is that why you are always busy lol..frightening the customer to give you extra work.

Is that where you like to do your bonding lol? So far as its reasonably practicable:D

Dont know if Specs or Deke know this one,

in Blackheath ( I used to live there unfortunately) you can go down Mincing Lane and up at Bell End ROTFWL

Thanks again guys, your advice is greatly appreciated. I think the smutty sexual innuendo's belong to the jokes thread though !. If this site is hoping to attract more female electricians then somehow I don't think this is the right way to go about it ! .

Thanks again guys, your advice is greatly appreciated. I think the smutty sexual innuendo's belong to the jokes thread though !. If this site is hoping to attract more female electricians then somehow I don't think this is the right way to go about it ! .
pah - with some jokes you've told us :D