i need help trying to persuede my employer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas123

Reaction score
Hey,

Providing i get the grades this year in college, the college has asked me if i want to do an optional course in the 3rd year.

It consists of:

17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations - C&G 2382-10

Fundamental Initial Inspection and Testing - C&G 2392

Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations - C&G 2391

Code of Practice for Testing Electrical Equipment (PAT Testing) - C&G 2377

Certification in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings (commonly know as part p of the building regulations - 2393

Basically I need to put together a portfolio stating why i want to do these extra qualifications, what they will allow me to do and how this will benefit my employer. My employer has not asked for this portfolio, but they do not normally let anyone have this one day off a week, so I really show i'm keen and i need to impress them..

Thanks in advance

i know what they are lol.. but how would it benefit them? for example, 2391, i will be able to test, how much profit could they make from me by being able to do this? just information like this i need, i only need a few lines..

I would say it would expand your knowledge and thus giving a better service to the clients. You may meet future clients who are impressed with you, looking good on your employer that they employ and train knowledgeable people.

PATesting will give your employer profits from gaining PATesting contracts you can fullfill.

Hello Aaron123

you didn't say what size of company your employer is?

and/or what proportion of their electricians have these qualifications?

There can actually be a fine balance between benefits to the employer...

and the risk that you become more likely to leave your employer!!!

Almost every employer would benefit from their employee's becoming more qualified.

But if that increases the turnover of their staff and they have to start again training someone new...

it becomes another outgoing burden on their costs!

You say this will be a day-release type course so you need time off work, but you didn't say if you will be paying for this course?

or if you are expecting your employer to pay for the course?

IMHO any employer within the electrical industry should be well aware of these courses, their general content and the benefits to them as an organisation...

So IMHO you would need to go along the lines of...

"My college are offering these additional courses which I am sure you will understand the added benefits and value this will bring to the company.

I am very interested in taking on these additional qualifications and would require the appropriate days off to attend college.

Once I have attained these qualifications, I will be able to take on greater responsibilities within the company, so provide more flexibility such as when other engineers are absent/holidays etc, or if workload demands change.

This I think will help toward the future growth and profit of the company and provide improved standards for our customers."

For it to be a benefit.. the bottom line has to be MORE PROFIT for the company!!!!

You do need to remember that a lot of these courses can be done at evening classes...

which means you don't have to have time off work....

you may need to think of a suitable answer if your employer ask you why don't you do it as an evening course?

:|

Last edited by a moderator:
What Quals have you got at the moment?

If you have the 2330 Levels 1 And 2, then, as said, you don't need to do the 2393 Part P, as that is covered in your course.

I think that will be just a waste of your employers money. You could also add that too, to your write up. They will then see that you have an understanding of the courses and what they're about, you're not just going on a course for the fun of it or to get somne time off, and Most importantly - You are saving the company, money by not doing courses that you have already covered.

Also point out that with having 2391 will help your company with future clients if they do industrial/commercial work, the way some companies are going they ask their contractors to prove the compentancy of their employees they are sending to carry out work so if carrying out any testing with having the qaulification shows you have and thus benefit the company.

Hello Aaron123you didn't say what size of company your employer is?

and/or what proportion of their electricians have these qualifications?

There can actually be a fine balance between benefits to the employer...

and the risk that you become more likely to leave your employer!!!

Almost every employer would benefit from their employee's becoming more qualified.

But if that increases the turnover of their staff and they have to start again training someone new...

it becomes another outgoing burden on their costs!

You say this will be a day-release type course so you need time off work, but you didn't say if you will be paying for this course?

or if you are expecting your employer to pay for the course?

IMHO any employer within the electrical industry should be well aware of these courses, their general content and the benefits to them as an organisation...

So IMHO you would need to go along the lines of...

"My college are offering these additional courses which I am sure you will understand the added benefits and value this will bring to the company.

I am very interested in taking on these additional qualifications and would require the appropriate days off to attend college.

Once I have attained these qualifications, I will be able to take on greater responsibilities within the company, so provide more flexibility such as when other engineers are absent/holidays etc, or if workload demands change.

This I think will help toward the future growth and profit of the company and provide improved standards for our customers."

For it to be a benefit.. the bottom line has to be MORE PROFIT for the company!!!!

You do need to remember that a lot of these courses can be done at evening classes...

which means you don't have to have time off work....

you may need to think of a suitable answer if your employer ask you why don't you do it as an evening course?

:|
thanks for that, it's really helped :x

i will be willing to pay for the course and take unpaid leave for the one day i have off a week. my employer has 100ish on the tools, 20 office staff, not many at all have the 2391 i dont think, only 1 of them i've worked with has it.. but probably quite a few more have it that i dont know have. i know that i will be teachin my employer to suck eggs by writing up all this stuff, but i want to show them that i've made the effort and taken the time to research the qualifications that i want to do.

with 100 on the tools I'd be pressing for your employer to pay the fees. We have 60ish on the tools at out firm and they pay for the 2391 course if you beg them enough.

why would having a basic knowledge of heating control systems benefit my employer? they having a plumbing department as well by the way..

I have been persuaded against doing this course by my uncle. If i can do pat testing, they will make me do pat testing a lot. If I can test and inspect, i will be constantly testing.. no good if i need experience for my am2. Plus signing certificates at a young age he thinks is too much responsibility for the amount of experience I will have. I will have this extra responsibility and I will still be getting paid apprentice wages, It does not sound so good now.

I am still going to do the 2391 next year but I will not tell my employer. Better option?

I have been persuaded against doing this course by my uncle. If i can do pat testing, they will make me do pat testing a lot. If I can test and inspect, i will be constantly testing.. no good if i need experience for my am2. Plus signing certificates at a young age he thinks is too much responsibility for the amount of experience I will have. I will have this extra responsibility and I will still be getting paid apprentice wages, It does not sound so good now.I am still going to do the 2391 next year but I will not tell my employer. Better option?
Personally I disagree. When we are young we need to make the best of ourselves. I think you have a huge opportunity presenting here that if you don't grasp it you'll regret it.

If you've done the course and passed, you're competent. Why not sign your own certificates? When qualified I would be asking for a pay rise! You have new skills that your employer is gaining an income from. Or take your new skills elsewhere!

why would having a basic knowledge of heating control systems benefit my employer? they having a plumbing department as well by the way..
If they have a plumbing dept then they NEED people able to connect them up!

Think about it in the context of the job you have now AND your future employability!

I have been persuaded against doing this course by my uncle. If i can do pat testing, they will make me do pat testing a lot. If I can test and inspect, i will be constantly testing.. no good if i need experience for my am2. Plus signing certificates at a young age he thinks is too much responsibility for the amount of experience I will have. I will have this extra responsibility and I will still be getting paid apprentice wages, It does not sound so good now.I am still going to do the 2391 next year but I will not tell my employer. Better option?
Signing certificates will be the companies responsibility NOT yours,

i.e. If you are NOT competent, still needing a bit more experience, IMHO the company would not risk THEIR reputation on an apprentice getting it wrong..

The company could have you doing all the crap jobs anyway.. whatever your qualiications...

But if you are more valuable to them, (better qualified), they may consider developing your job role to a more mutually beneficial position?

Its hard to say without knowing precisely who the company is and/or how they treat their workers? :( :|

So if i test an installation for the company and something did happen down the line, i would not be held responsible?

I thought i would be strung up by my b*ll*cks see. lol.