pain in the a**e bonding

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
Went to look at a cu change tonight, all looked fine and dandy until I asked where the incoming gas and water was. The water was was in the living room next the original cimney stack behind a stud wall, it had access by the way. The gas was under the sink. Anyway the problem was that the floor is solid concrete, the whole place was freshly plastered, fully tiled in the kitchen and to top it off poxy laminate flooring throughout the first floor. I can get a bond to the gas by routing the cable around the side of the house and then back into the kitchen but I havent got a scooby about the water. Is there any way around the water bond or does it have to be 10mm at 600mm from inside the house?

If you can't get access to the stop valve you can bond it at a practical and convenient place somewhere along the run, leave a note where it is , you have done you best to follow the regs, you can do no more.

Just a thought, as I have to route the bond to the gas around the outside of the house and then to the meter, I could bond the water on the pipes under the sink, would that be acceptable?

Just a thought, as I have to route the bond to the gas around the outside of the house and then to the meter, I could bond the water on the pipes under the sink, would that be acceptable?[/QUOTE]What distance from the incoming?

Don

The distance from the incoming water to the sink is roughly 4 to 5 meters. the incoming is pretty much in the middle of the house :-(

The distance from the incoming water to the sink is roughly 4 to 5 meters. the incoming is pretty much in the middle of the house :-(
I think you've been given the best answer, see the first response.

The Godfather

I think you've been given the best answer, see the first response.The Godfather
Concur! ;)

And just to confirm from the BRB..

Page 135 Reg 544.1.2

The main equipotential bonding connection to any gas , water or other service shall be made "as near as practicable"to the point of entry of that service into the premises. where there is an insulating section or insert at that point, or there is a meter, the connection shall be made to the consumers hard metal pipework and before any branch pipework. "Where practicable" the connection shall be ,made within 600mm of the meter outlet union or at the point o entry to the building if the meter is external.

As Deke says.. do it the best you can..

make a note on cert, (and stick note by/on CU if there is room).

I would probably do a bit of additional belt and braces cross bonding in airing cupboards near immersion heaters and other water tanks and/or by boilers if loads of metal pipe bits are easily accessible.

and take a few random continuity readings at various points of pipe work / taps etc.. with ref to MET to check no high resistance areas.

;) :)

Latest posts