supply for builders

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
Me again, sorry lads I have had a very busy night quoteing

My boss is having loads of work carried out on his property. The builders require power to 2 porta cabins, a dry room, toilet unit and some lights. Within the cabins there will be a couple of heaters per cabin, some computers, 4 sockets in each. The toilet has a water heater, a heater and the lights im not to sure about but I will try to get more info.

Sorry the description is not that exact but I dont think the builders know exactly what power they will be drawing yet.

My boss has given me permission to stick whatever cable down so there will be no problem with cost, I was thinking of going with a 16mm cable to an outside jb then having the swa cables going from there to each facility once it turns up on site. Would 16mm t&e be capable for this job roughly? and if so what size mcb would be required?

This is my first job like this and would appreciate any advice

Thanks

I'd guess a 10mm would probably do the job , Meady.
And I would guess you is most probablikly right there Sandra! ;)

considering there are 100's of houses around the country still supplied by 16mm tails!

16mm for a couple of porta-cabins? power wise should carry their load....

spose the only question may be how longs the run? is volt drop an issue?

Not an issue, the run is only about 7 meters from cu to where I am going to place the jb, from there the cabins and and facilities are within spitting distance. My only concearn was the dry room. Not to sure what amps it draws but its a small cabin set at a certain temperature to aid drying off wet clothing etc (health and safety insisted on it). There will also be more working lights spotted around the site as the nights draw in.

usually dry rooms i have come accross only have 3 or 6kw heater in, just that its on all the time getting the room roasting!

More than likely a 3kw in a porta cabin

Nice one sellers, thats cleared that up for me. So a 10mm t&e should be ideal! Once I know what exactly is going in I will do all the relevant calcs to make sure

Thanks fellas