Heat resistant cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oracle

Reaction score
Hi all,

Whats everyones opinion on cable tieing HR cable to central heating/hot water pipes?

O.

as i got told on my first assessment 'a pipe is not a cable support' and that was only supplementary bonding to make it look neat!

I'd say very rough.

I would never do a job that at a later date another electrician could come in and say, who have you had in to do this??

several reasons:

Wall is asbestos sheeting, and i don't want to drill it. There is no room/straight path for trunking. I can cable tie the flex above/behind the 28mm pipes so you can't see it.

Agree its not best, but any actual reason not to?

Cheers,

O.

could use those sticky pads that you can put a cable tie through and stick them to the wall, or no nails them if they dont stick

i do heating all the time and its frowned upon. all cables should be self supporting, and when you consider heating pipes can get up to 80 degrees and off the top of my head hr flex is rated at 90 degrees, i wouldnt fancy doing it personally, especially when that cable might be in use for 20+ yrs. sticky back trunking with some glue or sticky pads? ;)

Guys,

I completely agree - I'm all for a proper job, I come from a commercial background, with nice tray work, baskets, trunking, etc.

This crappy domestic job has a 28mm pipe running close to exposed beam ceiling, where I can't get trunking under the pipe or above.

I wouldn't rely on sticky bases on the wall, fine for panel work and nice surfaces and not exposed to heat.

I'll scratch my head and have a think.

Thanks guys :)

O.

There is a reg somewhere. Prevention of mutual detrimental influence i believe.

Hi all,Whats everyones opinion on cable tieing HR cable to central heating/hot water pipes?

O.
Non-compliance with BS7671 & thus Non-compliance with Part P building regs IMHO! :_| :_|

i.e.

Reg 134.1.1 page 19 Big Red! which as well all know is.....

Good workmanship, by competent persons, proper materials etc.. etc..

all together please... even you at the back there Deke.. stop flicking rubber band, paper pellets at AndyC!!! X(

after 3... 1,2,3...

Good workmanship, by competent persons, proper materials, manufactures instructions etc.. etc..blah blah blah...

Thankyou... :DApplaud Smiley

AND....

Reg 528.3.3 page 109 Big red!..... GH will recite it by heart then we can all repeat it out loud.....

go on GH wake up:z.. are you sober yet? ; \

"Where an electrical service is to be installed in proximity to one or more non-electrical services it shall be so arranged that any foreseeable operation carried out on the other service will not cause damage to the electrical service or the converse."

And now all together..... that includes you Apache... put that hoof grinder down please:O:(

"Regulation 528.3.3: Where an electrical service is to be installed in proximity to one or more non-electrical services it shall be so arranged that any foreseeable operation carried out on the other service will not cause damage to the electrical service or the converse."

which in Deke's own Brumigham tongue means....

yow gorra watch that the plumber doe gew moovin iz' pipes an knackerin yower cables!!!!!Blushing;\

:p :p:p:p:p

you are going to have to get your thinking head back out Oracle:|

should I have anotherGuiness Drink

or do I need to see Admin for some more Medication? :eek: ? :| :|

Blushing

:coat :coat:coat

Cables attached to heating pipes? No, No, No.

I always tell the plumbers I work with that I need space to mount cables at least 50mm from their pipework. They don't like it, they think they can just put their pipes anywhere and we'll just "work round them". I stung one for extra cost once for having to take a more complex route because he'd left no space for cables - he hasn't done that since!

Methinks you'll have to get your thinking cap on! A different route perhaps?