Out of interest.. main fuse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom79

Reaction score
Just out of interest, you know the main fuse? if you are doing a consumer unit change or an inspection, and the fuse is sealed.

How are you "supposed" to deal with this? in terms of isolation when changing the CU, or to confirm the fuse size in an inspection.

I think you can call them to get the fuse size right? but what about the CU change and isolation?

Either learn to work live or snip seals - having recently found a main fuse with no fuse and a bit of wire in place I now consider it irresponsible not to check the cut-out, even if it is illegal to interefere with it. But what I normally do is re-seal with a bit of wire to prevent daft customers from just pulling fuse out. Failing that you should really arrange DNO to either fit an isolator or pull fuse/re-fit after CU change - something I used to do until British Gas were 3 days late.

Ahh ok, yer we used to just pull them out but I always wondered what is supposed to happen, I like the idea of you sealing it again.

Dont fancy the working live idea after seeing an electrician run a live tail down a pipe under the stairs followed by a loud "cooorrr bloody hell"

Do they charge much to come out? bit OTT isnt it, sending a guy out to pull a fuse... but there we go.

5 always phone dno (e-on round here) they usually come within a week and fit an isolator which is sealed at bottom and at the top theres a cap which just screws off so you can put your tails straight in. e-on dont charge but not sure about other DNOs, i always get customer to arange this and state that it there responsibility on the quote and will only proceed when isolator fitted, so if DNO is late thats not my fault. i prefer to get isolator fitted and not work live or pull fuse myself for safety and a*** is covered with no comeback from DNO. a mate of mine was told he was going to be investigated for breaking seal and pulling fuse, nothing as of yet has come of this and doubt it will but for sake of a phone call and waiting a couple of days then theres no worries.

Our DNO here wont fit isolators so normally call the supplier and advise fuse needs resealing at next meter reading. They are usually happy with that unless you get a jobsworth (in which case just hang up and try again).

Ian.

Our DNO here wont fit isolators so normally call the supplier and advise fuse needs resealing at next meter reading. They are usually happy with that unless you get a jobsworth (in which case just hang up and try again).Ian.
The kind of knowledge you can never get at college! thanks for that

Oh by the way, what does DNO stand for? I googled it and it brought up...a....Norwegian Oil company :^O who after a little reading.. was founded in 1971 and was the first Norwegian oil company to be listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange in 1972. ?:|

Or.. if I google "DNO Newcastle" I get a goths facebook page headbang

Just out of interest, you know the main fuse? if you are doing a consumer unit change or an inspection, and the fuse is sealed.How are you "supposed" to deal with this? in terms of isolation when changing the CU, or to confirm the fuse size in an inspection.

I think you can call them to get the fuse size right? but what about the CU change and isolation?
either pull fuse or work live. NEDL use Wylex REC2 isolators, so DIY one of those, and no-one will know the difference

either pull fuse or work live. NEDL use Wylex REC2 isolators, so DIY one of those, and no-one will know the difference
Ahh cheers NEDL for us then, I have an isolator on the one in my house like the one you mentioned.