Australia

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrishornby

Reaction score
Hello all.

I shall be emigrating down-under shortly and wondered if anyone here had any info on the Australian electrics trade?

Any advice appreciated.

I've discovered jumbuck is slang for sheep courtesy of Eggheads!

Hello all.I shall be emigrating down-under shortly and wondered if anyone here had any info on the Australian electrics trade?

Any advice appreciated.

they have all there 11KV feeds on the same poles as the 230/400v feeds....

i think there stuff is mostly 16/20A radials, and similar to ours (with the obvious difference in sockets)

where bouts in oz are you going to?

Hi Andy.

Want to thank you for trying to help me out with that contactor story, came off in the end.

I'm off to Perth mate.

Hello all.I shall be emigrating down-under shortly and wondered if anyone here had any info on the Australian electrics trade?

Any advice appreciated.

Firstly, congratulations on moving down under.

Secondly, the electrical installation works can only be done by registered electricians, it is strictly controlled, unlike here.

The Godfather

Very strict.

I did some looking into it a while back, and whilst i had 3 weeks there.

Each state/government has different rules, but you need to go on a course with the local one.

And non of these "competent person crap" your either qualified or not. and all done through government.

I've heard you need to work under a spark for about a year before you can get a licence but it sounds like it may be good for business not having bob the builder doing the electrics?!

check out 'Tafe' it is where u study for ur exams...

one step down from a license spark would be ur ' connect and dis-connected license'.

How you doing Chris, have you gone down the vetassess route or TRA ???, you will need a OTSR ( this is given when you pass vetassess practical ) or ARTC ( done by TRA elec special class only paper based ). i belive that a company called Energy saftey in Oz are doing a 2 week course that is all about the AU/NZ 3000 regs and some practical to get your A licence, no one will touch you with out it ( well not well paid or legall )

Vetassess paper based assessment 04/05/09 passed

Vetassess practical 30/07/09 passed

WA state sponsorhip app 08/08/09

the whole process * up by Chris Evans immigration minister 23/09/09

Iam getting in touch with the Don for the OK to give him a visit.

Regards Luca

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Can't tell you any certain info but my mate who is also an electrician emmigrated over there a few years ago. He had to complete a couple of courses once he got there and I think work with some one for a while before he was allowed to do any work by himself. He told me the qualifications he had over here such as 16th ed as it was at the time mean nothing to the australians, they demand you do all there own quals and prove your competence before your allowed to work. Not a bad adea if you ask me!

evening again, vetassess must be done in the UK and passed before you can apply for a visa, when you get your visa and arrive in Oz you will need to contact the relavent state authority, you will need to get your A licence you will either an OTSR or ARTC

OTSR issued by vetassess ( general elec ), to recive this you will need to have passed the paper based assessment $600AUD, then comes the practical assessment $1600UAD, this is a full day and consists of the following 4 units

1, 18 multi choice questions ( ohms law, power calcs, 3 ph calcs, star/delta,resistors,capacitors,pf etc

2, install of 1 single skt in PVC, 1 lighting circ with 2 way sw clipped direct then in PVC, connect to CU and carrry out and record all dead test.

3, safe isolation/reconnect, this must be done as the candidate guide supplied, this is a big sticking point for alot of guys in the UK.

4, wire a DOL from scratch, you are given a board with start/stop buttons, contactor & O/L fitted, a drawing will be provided and you have to wire them in singals, when you have done this it is energised and tested ( manually no testers ), a fault will then be put on the circuit and you have to find it then repair it ( not forgetting safe isolation etc ).

After this wait 5-10 days for pass or fail all re-sits are about $1000.

You can now apply for your visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

ARTC ( elec special class ), this is issued by TRA,this is a paper based assessment ( $350 AUD ) and alot of guys who donnt work solely on PLC drive and machinery get diverted to vetassess,you can with the ARTC go down the PEER route.PEER VEET in SA is a 2 day course with a log book you must fill in and present.On completion of this ( in SA ) and gaining your A licence you can transfer it to other states.

Due to the changes ( introduction of vetassess )that were made its still up in the air wich is the best way to go because some of the TAFES/RTO donnt recognise vetassess.

Luca

evening again, vetassess must be done in the UK and passed before you can apply for a visa, when you get your visa and arrive in Oz you will need to contact the relavent state authority, you will need to get your A licence you will either an OTSR or ARTCOTSR issued by vetassess ( general elec ), to recive this you will need to have passed the paper based assessment $600AUD, then comes the practical assessment $1600UAD, this is a full day and consists of the following 4 units

1, 18 multi choice questions ( ohms law, power calcs, 3 ph calcs, star/delta,resistors,capacitors,pf etc

2, install of 1 single skt in PVC, 1 lighting circ with 2 way sw clipped direct then in PVC, connect to CU and carrry out and record all dead test.

3, safe isolation/reconnect, this must be done as the candidate guide supplied, this is a big sticking point for alot of guys in the UK.

4, wire a DOL from scratch, you are given a board with start/stop buttons, contactor & O/L fitted, a drawing will be provided and you have to wire them in singals, when you have done this it is energised and tested ( manually no testers ), a fault will then be put on the circuit and you have to find it then repair it ( not forgetting safe isolation etc ).

After this wait 5-10 days for pass or fail all re-sits are about $1000.

You can now apply for your visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

ARTC ( elec special class ), this is issued by TRA,this is a paper based assessment ( $350 AUD ) and alot of guys who donnt work solely on PLC drive and machinery get diverted to vetassess,you can with the ARTC go down the PEER route.PEER VEET in SA is a 2 day course with a log book you must fill in and present.On completion of this ( in SA ) and gaining your A licence you can transfer it to other states.

Due to the changes ( introduction of vetassess )that were made its still up in the air wich is the best way to go because some of the TAFES/RTO donnt recognise vetassess.

Luca
I'm travelling over on my girlfriend's visa which allows me to study there. Did have a brief look into vetassess but it would have taken too much time before I would have been able to apply for my own visa. Are testers supplied at the assessment or do you provide your own? The detailed list of tasks to complete is a help, thank you.

all tools and meters/testers are supplied, all the fellas on my assessment took ther own though, you have to take your PPE. I found the process very relaxed and the assessor was very help full.Where and when are you going Chris ????, have you looked at Britishexpats.com and Pomsinoz they have some info on applying for your ARTC when on shore, I think if you go over on your chicks visa you will need to apply on shore.

all the best and G day,

Luca

all tools and meters/testers are supplied, all the fellas on my assessment took ther own though, you have to take your PPE. I found the process very relaxed and the assessor was very help full.Where and when are you going Chris ????, have you looked at Britishexpats.com and Pomsinoz they have some info on applying for your ARTC when on shore, I think if you go over on your chicks visa you will need to apply on shore.all the best and G day,

Luca
I will have a look at those links. I'm off to Perth, we're looking at Scarborough about 2 mins from the beach:D. Good to hear that the assessment is very relaxed, good old aussies!

have you got your visa ??, it all changed on the 23/09/09 all hell has broken loose, the immigration minister has really ballsed up this time.

Luca

It's going through at the moment. It's been 3 weeks so far and should be here in another few. My girl's being sponsored by her company for a 4year visa and apparently they fast track it when it's from a company. We were given a time-frame of 6-8weeks.

Any advice appreciated.

WOW! :eek:

good one Chris!!

Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

hope all goes well for you.Guiness Drink

When are you due to go? ?:|

all I can say is....

1/ Make sure you get Internet set up sharpish!

2/ Get yourself logged back on here.

3/ You can be the "OFFICIAL" forum Australia correspondent IMHO.....

I shall go and ask Admin now I think! ?:| :| ;)

Blushing:xApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Just waiting on the visa but looking at 2-3 weeks I guess. I will definately continue on this forum as many people before me have said...IT'S THE BEST! Guiness Drink

Keep you all updated...B-)