Kitchen Fitters and Bathroom Fitters are.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
a pain in the ar$e. Just been doing a partial rewire after finding most of the house wired in rubber cable during testing on a c/u change. Kitchen had been fitted approx 3 years ago. Kitchen fitted had chock blocked his new wiring onto original rubber wiring and rewired all ther kitchen - not great but ok if thats it then not too bad...... I find some other cabling in loft (its a bungalow) which would go down into the kitchen and is connected to the ring. Check kitchen and nothing anywhere near where this cable could be so I give it a little tug and it comes straight out with tape on the end so I think bit of a bodge but what can you expect!! Finsish for the day, come back following day and homeowner says his washing machine, dishwasher and a plug socket don't work, so I investigate, turns out kitchen fitter has taped 1960s cables together and also taped them to a new cable feeding a double socket above the counter and a double below which is used for the dishwasher and washing machines. No fused spurs, 2.5mm cable supplying 4 sockets, taped joints, no certs nice job!! Anyway sorted that so now onto bathroom fitters!

Whilst I was there the polish bathroom fitter has been finishing off the bathroom in which he has fitted 6 halogen lights and an extractor above the shower, to be fair not a bad job of the wiring but no testing no certs and I'm pretty sure if I hadn't been rewiring the lighting to remove the 1960's rubber cabling I'm sure he wouldn't have pointed it out. Nor the lack of RCD's etc. Then to top it all of the homeowner starts laying all the insulation back down over the halogen lighting and putting the boarding back down, I say you can't do that they will cook, so homeowner says bathroom fitter says its ok, so I explain to him about the heat from a GU10 type light and he decides he should perhaps look into getting a cover for them!

Part P is working well, I'm glad I invested in my scam registration when the rules are being so strictly enforced. The homeowners don't care either, when I quoted for rewire homeowner said they were having bathroom done I said make sure he is going to issue certs etc and homeowner said they weren't worried just want a good looking job for a good price!!

a pain in the ar$e. Just been doing a partial rewire after finding most of the house wired in rubber cable during testing on a c/u change. Kitchen had been fitted approx 3 years ago. Kitchen fitted had chock blocked his new wiring onto original rubber wiring and rewired all ther kitchen - not great but ok if thats it then not too bad...... I find some other cabling in loft (its a bungalow) which would go down into the kitchen and is connected to the ring. Check kitchen and nothing anywhere near where this cable could be so I give it a little tug and it comes straight out with tape on the end so I think bit of a bodge but what can you expect!! Finsish for the day, come back following day and homeowner says his washing machine, dishwasher and a plug socket don't work, so I investigate, turns out kitchen fitter has taped 1960s cables together and also taped them to a new cable feeding a double socket above the counter and a double below which is used for the dishwasher and washing machines. No fused spurs, 2.5mm cable supplying 4 sockets, taped joints, no certs nice job!! Anyway sorted that so now onto bathroom fitters!Whilst I was there the polish bathroom fitter has been finishing off the bathroom in which he has fitted 6 halogen lights and an extractor above the shower, to be fair not a bad job of the wiring but no testing no certs and I'm pretty sure if I hadn't been rewiring the lighting to remove the 1960's rubber cabling I'm sure he wouldn't have pointed it out. Nor the lack of RCD's etc. Then to top it all of the homeowner starts laying all the insulation back down over the halogen lighting and putting the boarding back down, I say you can't do that they will cook, so homeowner says bathroom fitter says its ok, so I explain to him about the heat from a GU10 type light and he decides he should perhaps look into getting a cover for them!

Part P is working well, I'm glad I invested in my scam registration when the rules are being so strictly enforced. The homeowners don't care either, when I quoted for rewire homeowner said they were having bathroom done I said make sure he is going to issue certs etc and homeowner said they weren't worried just want a good looking job for a good price!!
It was these type of idiotic morons that Part P of the Building Regs was brought in to try and stop, shows how much it has doesn't itX(X( X(

No matter what the government bring in, it is NOT going to stop these kinds of people. (And that is putting it politely).

And as long as there are homeowners who don't give two hoots about the safety of their families, neighbours or themselves, then - it will never stop either.

Unfortunately - as well as a long wait because the tradesmen (Legit) are busy - I am reliably informed it is the case with 'the types mentioned above too'.

Unbelievable!!!

Only one simple way to stop it. Your either an electrician or you aren't. No inbetweens. With each electrician on a register who has some sort of government document watermarked and tracable to them. Any work must be accompanied by one of these forms, as well as test sheets. Also all houses to have PIR's by say 2012. Therefore any additions or alterations are somewhat trace-able.

You will never legislate against homeowners getting it cheap or having no understanding although on saying that , it seems to work quite well with gas installers. We lost the work with a private landlord who was refurbing loads of houses for rental. He took up a cheaper offer from the plasterers to do the electrics. My mate saw an example of their work and fled in case someone thought we had done it.

Another comment I had last year from a customer was " We know the house was rewired properly as he was a fireman ."

I was griping about a kitchen fitter this morning at a flat but it could well have been a DIY job too ... cable from the hood goes straight into the wall and vanishes, no FCU nothing .. customer has no idea what it's connected to only that the kitchen light didnt work, they went to turn the hood on, there was bang, hood stopped working and light came back on ... everything neatly plastered away with no access .. nice ..

" We know the house was rewired properly as he was a fireman ."
My mate was working on a property last year, when suddenly the roofer, chippie and plumber all downed tools because the local pub had caught fire. Suppose you have guessed it?...Yep they were all firemen.

My mate was working on a property last year, when suddenly the roofer, chippie and plumber all downed tools because the local pub had caught fire. Suppose you have guessed it?...Yep they were all firemen.
maybe they all wanted free beer as it was rescued from the pub?

I thought you were going to say that they were renovating the actual pub. :^O

Where's Sparky999? Firebrad?
What made you think of them, Now then?

:D

True though - Where are they?