Speed cameras

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L-E_Fault

Reaction score
Hay all, two questions,

1. Can you get caught speeding on the opposite side of the road of the GATSO if there are lines on the road?

2. Has anybody been caught or no anybody who has been caught by the average speed cameras that seem to be popping up on every motorway?

Tim

1. No not so far, unless they decide to start altering where the radar beams fire.

2. I havent and don't personally know anyone but yes they do work and people have been caught by them.

I was on the M6 today doing 55 in a 50 within the average speed camera area and cars were flying past me, must have been doing at least 70mph. Made me think its all a con as I've never heard of anybody being done by them.

As I understand it, the criteria for prosecution is the speed limit +10% + 2MPH. This allows for inaccuracies in both their equipment & also your own speedometer. So on a 60MPH stretch of road you would have to be doing in excess of 68MPH to be prosecuted for speeding.

The average speed cams do work. There was a long stretch recently on the M1 near the Hemel & Luton Airport turn offs & I know several people who got caught out by them.

As I understand it, the criteria for prosecution is the speed limit +10% + 2MPH. This allows for inaccuracies in both their equipment & also your own speedometer. So on a 60MPH stretch of road you would have to be doing in excess of 68MPH to be prosecuted for speeding.The average speed cams do work. There was a long stretch recently on the M1 near the Hemel & Luton Airport turn offs & I know several people who got caught out by them.
is these average speed cams work the same then, ie a tolerance limit.

is these average speed cams work the same then, ie a tolerance limit.
Not 100% certain but would think so for the same reasons.

TIM77.

1. I have always said no - other peeps have said yes - they do work i both directions even though they may be facing towards you. In which case, I say - Why paint lines both sides of the camera? And why pay someone to come and turn the camera in the opposite direction every to often, if it can pick up speeding drivers both sides of the road.

2. Is a tricky one and depends on where the camera is. For example, if it is on the M6 then yes, it would be well stocked, and stocked regularly. Don't forget that the Gatso's have the old film roll in them and they do run out. Whereas the new Digital cameras, never run out as the images are digitally sent to the processing place.

Either way - you will know within 4 weeks. Personally - I say if you haven't heard anything within 2 months - then there is an extremely strong possibility that you weren't caught.

PATCH: What people don't realise is that those cameras (Hand held or static) can zap you speeding and record your speed long before you see them. Also, if it was a handheld Laser speed camera used by a police officer - and they didn't come after you, then you haven't been caught.

I believe you all know my views on speed cameras? I must be the only one that is all for them? More so the hand held ones. Gatso's - everyone knows where they are, slow down to pass them and speed off again.

Exbdc. The tolerance is 10%. (Not + 2mph too).

Are you sure? I was told that by an ex-copper.

Maybe where you are - But it is just 10% (or at least , it was) - And there are calls fors it to be "Zero Tolerance".

TIM77. 1. I have always said no - other peeps have said yes - they do work i both directions even though they may be facing towards you. In which case, I say - Why paint lines both sides of the camera? And why pay someone to come and turn the camera in the opposite direction every to often, if it can pick up speeding drivers both sides of the road.

2. Is a tricky one and depends on where the camera is. For example, if it is on the M6 then yes, it would be well stocked, and stocked regularly. Don't forget that the Gatso's have the old film roll in them and they do run out. Whereas the new Digital cameras, never run out as the images are digitally sent to the processing place.

Either way - you will know within 4 weeks. Personally - I say if you haven't heard anything within 2 months - then there is an extremely strong possibility that you weren't caught.

PATCH: What people don't realise is that those cameras (Hand held or static) can zap you speeding and record your speed long before you see them. Also, if it was a handheld Laser speed camera used by a police officer - and they didn't come after you, then you haven't been caught.

I believe you all know my views on speed cameras? I must be the only one that is all for them? More so the hand held ones. Gatso's - everyone knows where they are, slow down to pass them and speed off again.

the gatsos that flash witha bright white flash light facing you can only see vehicles on the same side of the road as the camers, because if the camera is facing you the flash can blind you, its the ones with a red lens facing (infrared) that can detect on both sides, as for the tolerace i was also under the impression it was 10% +2MPH

Maybe where you are - But it is just 10% (or at least , it was) - And there are calls fors it to be "Zero Tolerance".
but zero tolerance as with older motors, the speedos are not as accurate, so 30 on the speedo in the vehicle can mean your doing 31 :eek:

personally i think they all be BANNED!! :p :p:p:p:p:p

You could just cover your car with CD's, they reflect lazers!

I had to break very heavily today - man with a gun. Hope I slowed down in time :|
Last time someone pointed a real gun at me I want driving. Wish I had been though cos I may have just driven over them.

It used to be 10% (as speedo's only needed to be accurate to 10% with tyre wear etc....) plus 2mph (to account for parallax of the needle). Speedo's have to be almost accurate all the time now (not sure how tyre wear will affect that) but parallax still is an issue so can not see how they can disregard that.

Ian.

As I understand it, they have to notify you within a set period (and its not 13 weeks as some think more like 4 weeks) and if its not you can appeal and request it rescinded.

It always used to be you had to tell them who was driving but nothing compelled you to sign the form so you had filled your obligation to provide the driver but they couldn't prosecute as the form was not signed. They were trying to close this loophole and I would imagine they must have by now.

Ian.

I was 5-10 meters inside the 30mph sign - so He can't have zapped me much before I saw him!

He didn't come after me anyways :|

I agree with speed cameras outside schools etc. Even to protect the workforce on roadworks, but I don't think 80mph is any more dangerous than 70 on a motorway.

I was under the impression that local forces could set their own cut off?

the old flash gatso i think they call them, i haver never been flashed head on. i think but this is a guess the reason for the lines on both sides of the road is so u cant speed past in the other lane.

the average ones that pop up around road works people always speed through i never risk it i got 4 points 4 years ago from a mobile camera and my insurance is still higher. when i do accidently speed a bit i compensate by slowing down for a bit, not sure if that works either, but no tickes yet.