Main earth connection to sheath

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
How would I go about upgrading the main earth to 16mm when the existing 10mm earth cable looks like it is directly onto the sheath. All the upgrades I have done upto now there has been earth clamps and a facility to replace the cable but this cable just dissapears under the sheath. Would I need to call out the provider to earth the supply cable?

You connect it your end and leave enough. You are supposed call the DNO out to connect their end, on any system.

But, as you say - you were able to connect them on several occasions. :|

DNO should do this as its a supplied Earth. Should handle everything up to the MET so they should upgrade to 16mm. Good luck getting them to do it though ;) .

Ian.

Yeah they never seem bothered to come out, even though it's a safety issue. What I shall do is stick the 10mm bonding in, run a 16mm from cu to an earth block and the connect the existing earth to that....call them and ask for an engineer to connect a 16mm from the earth block to the sheath (if they can be bothered) do I need to make any comments on the cert?

stick a henley or earth terminal next to existing clamp/10mm earth. cut earthfrom sheath and terminate into that. take your new 16mm to this terminal.

Had a TNS system once where i wanted the main earth upgrading. ran a 16mm to earth block and connected existing 6mm. when they came the next day they refused to upgrade it because i had not left the 6 inches of 16mm earth needed to reach the incomer! maybe i should have thought of that... but still petty!

Had a TNS system once where i wanted the main earth upgrading. ran a 16mm to earth block and connected existing 6mm. when they came the next day they refused to upgrade it because i had not left the 6 inches of 16mm earth needed to reach the incomer! maybe i should have thought of that... but still petty!
That sounds about right gordy, I will make sure I leave enough slack for them although im willing to bet they have some excuse not to connectX(

Most plumbed earth cables are 10mm bare tinned copper cable which matched the original 16mm tails. Its unlikley that the DNO will upgrade it TBH, your job finishes at the main earth terminal with your 16mm , the way I see it. I would guess that the 6 inches of 10mm will carry any fault currents to blow the 100a fuse.

Latest posts