changing flourescent tubes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there a going rate for changing tubes in a shop behind the sign outside. access good, not too high or anything.

also, is there a more standard size of tube thats normally in them, either 2ft or 4ft or just anything?

i'd just stay safe and go with a hourly rate incase of horror story

Commercial call out + minor repair... 50 squidlies plus parts in my book.

They're all different, 2ft and upwards. If it's an older sign they'll be T12's (fat) or T8's (thin) both of which I think they are trying to do away with but your wholesaler will still be able to get you them. Need to take it off and have a look I'm afraid.

We were asked to re-lamp the signs at a SAAB dealership where my M8 takes his car.

Although access was with tall steps, our mistake was misjudging the size of the perspex panels for handling from steps, small tower would have been better .

We also found that the signs, which were on the front and both sides of building , had millions of tubes in them, all fed from a time switch via 4mtrs of 1.00mm flex which was red hot and melting.

this is a fairly small sign - about 7mtrx1mtr. not large enough for a million tubes, but im sure you could still fit many into it. you can easily get to this with steps

Bulk change all of them in one go and remember to put new starters in as well.