The 6 mil tails and the meter reader

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
Anybody else think that meter readers should be obliged to point out to our suppliers, their employers, if an installation is potentially unsafe.

Changed a fusebox last week, all the usual stuff plus 2 showers one wired in 10mm, the other in 6mm (will be 10mm by the end of next week.)

Anyways, 16mm single insulated tails from old fusebox to the meter (fine... my responsibility.)

6mm single insulated, singles from cable head to meter?

How many times a year is that meter read and why oh why isn't it reported and changed as a policy. Because it costs them ****in money that's why!

Before you ask, didnae even phone them. Cut the seal off and replaced them myself. Naughty boy Blushing

DSCF1175.jpg

many of these were the connection to final circuits...

and notice the seal on the meter? it didnt appear to have been tampered with in any way

It wasnt reported because the meter readers are not electricians,

I have had a letter posted to my home saying I will be "hurt", the address label was printed as was the actual letter itself. The police will be doing a dna and finger print test on the letter.

The only person I can think of who may send a letter like that is the cowboy builder I exposed, who connected an upstairs flat directly to the main supply cables, with no possible means of safe isolation or disconnection , in wait for it.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

6mm twin and earth......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

no I am not making this up, he really did do it.

The hurt he can do to me is nothing like the hurt he could have caused to a poor unsuspecting family.

Come accross dodgy tails between the cut out and meter all the time. The supply cables before the cut out never look 25mm (not sure of what size they are?!?!)

What amazes me more is we are told to put in 16mm main earths (quite rightly so) but in most cases with tn-s we find ourselves connecting that 16mm to the undersized distributors earth!!! Would be lucky if some of those cables are 4mm!!!

The only cables the meter readers are taught about are the ones linking the lives out in the meter!!!

I have had a letter posted to my home saying I will be "hurt", the address label was printed as was the actual letter itself. The police will be doing a dna and finger print test on the letter.The only person I can think of who may send a letter like that is the cowboy builder I exposed, who connected an upstairs flat directly to the main supply cables, with no possible means of safe isolation or disconnection , in wait for it.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

6mm twin and earth......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

no I am not making this up, he really did do it.

The hurt he can do to me is nothing like the hurt he could have caused to a poor unsuspecting family.
Probably be better passing the guys name on to the Don and his boys.

It wasnt reported because the meter readers are not electricians,
Check out Andy C's pic... I think it would occur to most people that maybe you should get that checked out, electrician or not.

I should point out that I have my doubts as to whether some of the guys working for the supply companies up here, installing dp switches, doing meter swapovers etc. are actually electricians.

A couple of hours induction training, a slide show and an extra check box on the meter readings app.

Oh,

and good on you for hunting them down GH... I had some work with a builder a couple of years ago (refused everything since) who was also a complete and utter a

Hi Elvis, 90% all meter fixers are not electricians, they do not work on the customers installation therefore dont have to sparkys. They are trained by the distribution company YEDL in Yorkshire and authorised to pull the service fuse to do the metering work on their equipment. The earthing has nothing to do with he fixer either, tails from the cutout to the meter can be 16mm doubles because we no longer fuse above 80 amp, if the customers tails are vir rubber etc then they SHOULD be put into single pole blocks and then tailed from meter to the blocks with pvc.

Thank you Dariusthemead or this informative post. If I haven't already said it, Welcome to the forum.

Doc H.

when i was trained to be a meter fitter (never actually took the job in the end due to ****e money) the first thing they asked was 'are you a electrician and can you send us copies of your C&Gs' i was under the impression unless you was fully qualified or had alot of experience of fitting meters you were not suitable for the position. This was in a different area to the above mentioned and the company doing the training were not the suppliers or the DNO.

the wife's family have a few property's ... and they had there meter changed on a old shop

but the mater man, refused to re connect as the whole lot was in a bad way...

ended up me rewiring it, but untill then the inlaws just saw it as " its been fine in the past"