Mondays Job, what else could crop up

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Well one of the builders i do a fair bit arranged for me to see this job Monday coming.

Got a call last night from them at 8.15pm. Asking my advice.

Along the lines of

"we knocked a light fitting while stripping wall paper from the ceiling and now nothing works" there is 1 black cable not in"

Instead of going out i told him to stick it with the neutral, everything fixed. naughty i know lol but i had had a Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink

He then goes on to tell me there is no earth on the lighting at all, its an old rewireable fuse board AND they had a "rewired" kitchen last month! by there "electrician"

How long ago was they installing cables to lights with no earth?

What else is going to crop up here!

I know the work ive got is to do with the llights, so its complete light circuit rewire, but then at that point ive got to RCD protect it?

Think this could get expensive for the customer!

not too sure about it, but i think i should be saying new CU really. much easier i bet!

Any one any advice on this one! think im going to get a few "issues"

This is Spooky, probs as halloween coming soon!

Been to 1960's Dormer style property today to originally quote for adding some wall lights and changing couple of fittings.

Kitchen not long ago rewired but on own new wylex 5 way CU. Rest of house on old wylex rewirable.

lighting has no cpc and one of the lights in the lounge has just stopped working.

I informed customer of situation and said couldnt do wall lights until other issues sorted out, i also asked who had put in metal ceiling light fittings and plate switches. The previous sparky told them there was no cpc but still fitted the items...how disgraceful!!!

I have advised them on using class 2 fittings as most parts of the house have been decorated but might get lighting rewire in future.

thats quite strange! haha as this is a Dorma! and wanting wall lights fitting LOL

your a fair distance from me though!

Ive told the "builder" il have a chat with customer and just say i cant do the work and give a report (visual) that builder will pay for.

Were Dorothy, the Tin Man and a scared lion in the garden when you got there:p ROTFWL

It does sound like the same house!

are you sure your 983yrs oldyours benji
i got that one wrong didnt i :_|

i meant the cable is twice as old as i am! ROTFWLROTFWL

Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink last night, thats my excuse :D

Well one of the builders i do a fair bit arranged for me to see this job Monday coming. Got a call last night from them at 8.15pm. Asking my advice.

Along the lines of

"we knocked a light fitting while stripping wall paper from the ceiling and now nothing works" there is 1 black cable not in"

Instead of going out i told him to stick it with the neutral, everything fixed. naughty i know lol but i had had a Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink

He then goes on to tell me there is no earth on the lighting at all, its an old rewireable fuse board AND they had a "rewired" kitchen last month! by there "electrician"

How long ago was they installing cables to lights with no earth?

What else is going to crop up here!

I know the work ive got is to do with the llights, so its complete light circuit rewire, but then at that point ive got to RCD protect it?

Think this could get expensive for the customer!

not too sure about it, but i think i should be saying new CU really. much easier i bet!

Any one any advice on this one! think im going to get a few "issues"
rcd the lights as a minimum

but being cute i would quote for a new cu and see what happens;)

rcd the lights as a minimumbut being cute i would quote for a new cu and see what happens;)
I was thinking that my self, just give advise that a new CU is going to be the best way to do the job.

the lights would need to be RCD protected as they would require a full rewire with having no earth.

But then there is downstairs lights, no earth.. so they would requrie a rewire also. The list just becomes endless!

the lights would need to be RCD protected as they would require a full rewire with having no earth.

Not so. See here, BPG#1:

http://esc.org.uk/business-and-community/electrical-industry/best-practice-guides.html

Pay special attention to the risk assessment on page 5.

Also check out all this smart class II lighting here:

http://www.double-insulated-lighting.co.uk/?gclid=CJWdq8CF-JcCFYwh3godQFFXDQ

It's too easy to go in all barrels with "you need a rewire" and all the upheavel and expense that involves. Think outside the box a little and show your customer smarter solutions using that retailer and the BPG. They'll thank you for it and you'll always be their first port of call when they need an electrician (and you'll get recommendations on the back of it too).

Obviously, if there are any points you can get a cpc to easily, then do so.

the lights would need to be RCD protected as they would require a full rewire with having no earth.It's too easy to go in all barrels with "you need a rewire" and all the upheavel and expense that involves. Think outside the box a little and show your customer smarter solutions using that retailer and the BPG. They'll thank you for it and you'll always be their first port of call when they need an electrician (and you'll get recommendations on the back of it too).

Obviously, if there are any points you can get a cpc to easily, then do so.
they are having a LOT of building works at the moment, including an extension, new central heating system. (extension does not need sockets, just lighting

I wont be going in with the cowboy attitude of "oooooooo this will cost... its looking like a rewire"

Id rather help the customer like you say, if its rewire the circuits i work on then just stick in a small RCD board.

Il be explaining to the customer several solutions, and leave him some details on paper with a visual report, and let them choose which they would prefere.

Ah-ha,

they are having a LOT of building works at the moment....

A lighting rewire might not be such a big step then.

I rather imagined the usual scenario of a nicely decorated house.

As you say, give the customer the options for them to decide.

i personally dont think its a Cowboy act to point them in a direction of a rewire when you make a professional opinion that is valid ie no cpc and wiring now at least 43 years old. The cowboys are the ones that create or pretend there were faults to gain work and do a really bad job once they have finished. They also always seem to get paid alot more money than us genuine hard working people as well:_|