Starting out Testing and Inspecting on your own.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedfordshire1000

Reaction score
Hi

I am after a bit of advice please.

I have been employed by a company carrying out Testing and Inspection for a number of years and am now thinking about starting out on my own solely testing and inspecting.

Is it possible to join a Certificating body e.g NICEIC solely Testing and Inspecting? I very rarely carry out any Installation work and i am just interested in T & I.

Can any one throw me any ideas on my situation please?

Thanks for the reply.

How would you be able to issue Certificates if you are not registered with anybody?

Hi I am after a bit of advice please.

I have been employed by a company carrying out Testing and Inspection for a number of years and am now thinking about starting out on my own solely testing and inspecting.

Is it possible to join a Certificating body e.g NICEIC solely Testing and Inspecting? I very rarely carry out any Installation work and i am just interested in T & I.

Can any one throw me any ideas on my situation please?
As Andy says, within the guidance of the wiring regulations all you need to be is a competent person to undertake I&T

ie.

regulation 610.5 page 156:-

Initial verification shall be carried out by a competent person.

Regulation 621.5 page 162:-

periodic inspection and testing shall be carried out by a competent person.

And the definition of Competent is:-

A person who possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and where appropriate injury to himself/herself and others.

and it can be reasonably argued that anyone with appropriate city & guilds qualifications & practical work experience is a competent person.

BUT.... and its a big but...

Many businesses, councils, housing associations, mortgage lenders, etc.. etc..

require an electrical contractor to be a member of an approved body to carry out inspection work at locations under their jurisdiction!

:|

or put it this way...

you are after a PIR at a factory you run...

3 contractors quote for the job..

one a member of NICEIC,

one a member of ECA,

one no membership with anybody....

who is most likely to be bottom of the choice pile? :| ;)

I think if you you only want to carry out inspections you will be loosing out on a lot of work

I think if you you only want to carry out inspections you will be loosing out on a lot of work
I would tend to agree with you Adrian, in the current climate the more skilled, qualified or flexible you are, the greater the chance of getting any prospective work contracts, anything that limits your scope could be detrimental.

Doc H

This depends.

If your just doing test + inspect on domestic or commerical maybe, but if you get into industrial and things like stringently safe or hazardous areas then theres more money to be earnt.

Obviously you'd need to do the relevent courses for these.

Would agree with Adrian, if you became a scheme member you could also pick up the remedial work following some testing that you carry out, rather than have to farm the work out?

Latest posts