create a split load

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
Evening gents,

A customer has his own cu that he got ages ago but it only had 1 rcd so i nee to put another in.

i have not done this before so just wanted to confirm on what to do.

i have attaced a pic of his board

i was thinking rcd 68302-98 page 239 in sf and51990-98 page 240 in sf

but where is the best place to put them?

thanks

paul

Consumer unit.JPG

you will only need 2 neutral bars, the current bar fed direct from isolator will be changed to fed from the new RCD. you will also have to move neutral feed for second existing RCD to isolator and not existing neutral bar

whilst on the subject, can i re jig the board? to say main switch-rcd-mcb-mcb-mcb-rcd-mcb-mcb etc?

to do this is it best to get 2 split load kits and do away with the existing bars?

thanks

I don't think I would be happy converting that board if anything where to go wrong you would be liable. The only way you could safely make that work is by using Rcbo's on main switch side.

Batty

whilst on the subject, can i re jig the board? to say main switch-rcd-mcb-mcb-mcb-rcd-mcb-mcb etc?to do this is it best to get 2 split load kits and do away with the existing bars?

thanks
L and N would be the wrong way around for the bus bar with the current RCD in the board

after all the messing your going to be better off getting a new board with dual RCD any way

I don't think I would be happy converting that board if anything where to go wrong you would be liable. The only way you could safely make that work is by using Rcbo's on main switch side.Batty
Surely a CU is only an enclosure with a DIN rail on which we mount and connect components?