DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Marking Cables

RussellR

Question

Sorry guys

I am full of questions this evening, being doing too many three phase boards !!

On single phase circuits within a three phase board as well as marking the earths and neutrals with the number of the circuit they relate too, I also put a small piece of heat shrink of the relevent phase colour on them. My rational being that it makes it easy for anyone following on to tie up the neutrals and earths and avoid mistakes.

However thinking about it could it be argued that you shouldn't have phase colours on an earth or neutral ?

It is a small bit and no one would mistake the earths or neutrals for phase wires, but just wondered what you thught.

Damn I answered that poll wrong, I thought you meant marking cables when first fixing. Can I change my answer please.

Batty

:_|

Damn I answered that poll wrong, I thought you meant marking cables when first fixing. Can I change my answer please.

Batty

Was it you who said you notched them batty ?

I was wondering about that ROTFWL

Was it you who said you notched them batty ?

I was wondering about that ROTFWL

Yes I do notch them on first fix or mark them with a sharpie. I think the indians up to no good.

:|

Yes I do notch them on first fix or mark them with a sharpie. I think the indians up to no good.

:|

Knew what you meant, but just had visions of someone notching them when live Pray

I suspect he is :D

I think there is enough colour confusion , Russ, with black and blue neutrals etc, without you starting another trend , no offence meant !! :):):)

Knew what you meant, but just had visions of someone notching them when live Pray

I suspect he is :D

I think he's too intelligent for us mere sparkies.

:)

The poll was created @ ten to one this morning. You have Disney plasters, Greek letters and blood group as options.

:D

The poll was created @ ten to one this morning. You have Disney plasters, Greek letters and blood group as options.

:D

You need to go to bed earlier.

:^O

I think there is enough colour confusion , Russ, with black and blue neutrals etc, without you starting another trend , no offence meant !! :):):)

Non taken :) Don't get me started on the phase and neutral colours, I have been moaning since 2006 ]:)

I would be in the cable tie and / or numbers/letters club..

In preference to the coloured sleeve / heat-shrink gang!

:|:D

I would be in the cable tie and / or numbers/letters club..

In preference to the coloured sleeve / heat-shrink gang!

:|:D

We could start a poll..................

:coat

Batty

NO!

we will take you to the firing squad instead!!!!!]:):o

Use a different colour? Pink?

Silly point but why waste your effort? You are doing it for the benefit of someone else in 10 years time! They should take care before ripping off the old board!

If it helps you carry on, but if it's just your good-heartedness than I'd save me time and go home half an hour earlier!

Silly point but why waste your effort? You are doing it for the benefit of someone else in 10 years time! They should take care before ripping off the old board!

If it helps you carry on, but if it's just your good-heartedness than I'd save me time and go home half an hour earlier!

You are probably correct Apache :)

So when you mark a neutral with a phase colour are you saying that it's a phase conductor and not a neutral?????

So when you mark a neutral with a phase colour are you saying that it's a phase conductor and not a neutral?????

Not what I am saying, and I am sure our NIC inspector will either love it or hate it, to me it is handy as you can tie up the phase with the correct neutral and earth quickly.

I put them in the correct positions so maybe it is over kill, but was just wondering if some one might object on the grounds a phase colour should not be on a neutral.

I'm not sure

I understand that you were not saying that,,

but if you sleeve a blue conductor with brown sleeving at a light switch or fitting then you would assume that it's actually a switched live....

Personally I'd just keep to number tags!

I understand that you were not saying that,,

but if you sleeve a blue conductor with brown sleeving at a light switch or fitting then you would assume that it's actually a switched live....

Personally I'd just keep to number tags!

Your right, but in the switch case I would sleeve the wire completely, I am just talking about a small ring of the phase colour, so the dominant colour is still the blue for the neutral, but with a small ring of say grey for the grey phase.

Archived