insulation resistance

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenceriles

Reaction score
could anyone help withh this questions

1) what would you use to carry out an insulation resistance test ? is it a insulation resistnce tester or is there another name think they have given me a trick question.

2) what is the minimum acceptable value for an insulation? is it greater than 999

Insulation Resistance Tester.

1Mohm and as stated, Anything less than 2Mohm should be investigated.

how would you also check the its functional accuracy . ihave an idea but not sure whether i am right

thanks for all your help

I would say its a high reading ohm meter but other answers are still correct.

For functional accuracy It would need to be calibrated. You can test that it functions correctly when you use it, Ie. >999 when test probes are open, and 0 when touched together.

You can test that it functions correctly when you use it, Ie. >999 when test probes are open, and 0 when touched together.
Functional accuracy cannot be verified as sellers has suggested. This would only confirm basic operation. A set of known resistances (i.e. testbox) or selection of resistors can be used. Verification of test voltage applied can also be necessary. The other option is periodically checking your "known" resistances against another insulation resistance tester.

HTH

KME