Economy 7 water heating controls

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilman

Reaction score
Evening all

Working at a property that will have immersion heated water storage tank; 2 immersions; 1 will be the main overnight immersion, and the other a 'boost' immersion that can be operated at any time of day. I can't get my head round what kind of controller(s) I will need. The off peak supply is via a seperate time-switch and off peak board, so the boost will need to be fed from the main consumer unit.

You have it sussed out there , Lily , two supplies needed . you would need , I think, the Horstman Off peak timer with mid day boost. I can't find the Horstman catolague , look on-line or your wholesaler will know.

Deke

I have economy 7 and have no form of timer whatsoever.

In 2 1/2 years we have used the boost element in the day twice, both times when we had been out the house and the eco 7 board switched off and needed a bit of hot water. Our's is on a sw fcu and that suits me fine (with a neon - gotta love em).

Our main eco 7 immersion has no timer. I could see having one would be problematic as it only is live during the night, so the clock would be wrong by the second day! It will have a thermostat so unlikely to cost that much extra to run with no timer. The power to it has been off since 8am this morning and the hot water is still too hot to shower in 14 hours later! Just make sure it's well insulated.

Our main eco 7 immersion has no timer. I could see having one would be problematic as it only is live during the night, so the clock would be wrong by the second day!
Most of them have a backup battery in them to keep the clock time.

if you have two supplies you do not need a time clock

off peak to bottom element

normal to top element (boost)

if you had one supply from normal tariff then use a time clock

Something like.....http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOELEC7.html

Would do the job. It uses BOTH supplies; so the clock is maintained.

HTH

KME
installed many of these working for the council. the timer runs from 24 hour supply, so no issue with timer being wrong all the time. although the setup patch has is probably best. if anything, just have a switch for off peak, and a 1 hour timer for 24 hour supply when req'd

I think it all depends how much hot water you use. I have had customers with e7 cylinders with only bottom element connected to timeclock on peak tariff set for a couple of hours at night and they have had enough water all day. A

The proper e7 timers are a lot of money and if the immersion goes quite often thats the end of them.Batty
Or when the backup battery leaks that tends to kill them too.

Only just caught mine in time recently... gave it a good clean anyway just in case of residue.