outside light t&e and the niceic

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eeb1933

Reaction score
just come off hols yesterday popped up my parents and the next door neighbours son has gone on his own as a domestic spark.

i spoke to him ages ago, he finished his apprenticeship last year and slowly got a van more tools etc and was asking for advice then on how to go about it.. as he worked for a builder he could'nt use his work there to be assessed so he wired a single storey extension on a house next door but one to him. he asked who to go with i said any of the part p bodies so he choose niceic. they inspected the extension all was fine, he put a light up at the rear of his parents house he used this as a minor which they had a look at!! i looked at it there is 12m of 1.5 t&e clipped to brick work from side of house to rear.

how did the niceic inspector not comment. oh he passed with flying colours. :^O

I would have thought something would have been said about the choice and selection of cable, due to the environment etc.

Very strange that it should have passed an assesment.

There may have been some reservations on his assesment, whereby if the cable was changed for a suitable outdoor type, the assesment would be ok, but proof this was done would have to be submitted before final agreement of a pass.

i'd really like to see where is says that t&e is not suitable for outside

it was my understanding that t+e is ok outside it just has a shorter life span. but for an niceic inspection coasting around

Cables which are exposed to direct sunlight or to the effects of ultra violet radiation should have been selected for such application.

Reg: 522.11.1

If the cable was on a south facing wall and was not shielded then i believe it may not comply

Sounds like a typical 'get the job done as quick as possible' scenario. Yes, it's acceptable (just) but it doesn't look good and it's far from the best way of doing it. I wouldn't accept this on my own house and in that respect I wouldn't perform that work on another person's house. It all comes down to your perception of what constitutes a good job. Acceptable is not enough in my book. Shame that plenty of electricians along with the scam providers consider that it is.

who would prefer conduit or armoured on there house headbang

might aswel stick some ladder rack up for good measure

I'd look for an alternative exit point for the cable. Failing that, I would say conduit and even SWA looks a whole lot neater than T&E clipped, especially when the clip nails go rusty and drop out.

Cables which are exposed to direct sunlight or to the effects of ultra violet radiation should have been selected for such application.Reg: 522.11.1

If the cable was on a south facing wall and was not shielded then i believe it may not comply
Which is why black cable should be used - the carbon that makes it black provides UV protection

someone call a cable manufacturer.

but there's no guaranteeing they will know either headbang

But black absorbs UV light, whereas white reflects it. :\
The carbon works like a sun-screen by blocking UV, and white isn't truly white, you can see the UV / weather damage done after a few years - cable discolours and goes very hard

As Graham Taylor famously said: "Do I not like orange"! ROTFWL
good one

bare would be discreet but i guess thats for us old uns :coat