IP v Ca5 v Traditional system

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been doing a bit or reading up on different CCTV systems and whilst i can see the benefits of Cat5 and IP systems, I was wondering whether the cable is as free from intereference as traditional systems if run alongside 240v cables or just subject to general EMI. Your opinions please.

im not a big fan of ip as it uses a lot of band width, whereby aa new network has to be installed anyway, so where is there a cost saving, i prefer the good ol' traditional cctv with dvr, and monitor, and not mixing cctv and computers.

im not a big fan of ip as it uses a lot of band width, whereby aa new network has to be installed anyway, so where is there a cost saving, i prefer the good ol' traditional cctv with dvr, and monitor, and not mixing cctv and computers.
My reason for asking is because a potential client wants to link his CCTV (new installation)to his mobile phone, and brief research suggets Cat5 system

I've just had a customer wanting the same thing binky.

I went with RG59 (as per badgers recomendation...thanks badge) from cams to a ALIEN HYBRID DVR 16-CH + 1TB + DVD, which supports mobile phone connection in the price (

I've just had a customer wanting the same thing binky.I went with RG59 (as per badgers recomendation...thanks badge) from cams to a ALIEN HYBRID DVR 16-CH + 1TB + DVD, which supports mobile phone connection in the price (

On a slightly different point, the customer also wants video door entry system for 2 gates linked to his TV (so video pops up on TV screen when activated). Anyone know how this is done???

I imagine 'customer' to be a rather wealthy chap............... :eek:
Yep, he's a builder who made his fortune developing a large plot of houses and is now re-developing the barn for himself, apparently he's fitting an oak staircase at

First time I've used it.

To be fair Systemq were spot on, I sent them an email with the spec that customer requested & they sent a reply email/quote next morning & followed it up with a call by mid morning.

Their quote came in under the customers budget & under 1 of the other 2 quotes, so because of the service & advice they gave, they got the business to supply all I needed for the job as per the customers (local council) spec & I made a tidy proffit on the materials aswel as the usual 20% mark up.

It looks really easy to use, co-ax from camera straight to DVR, every time I go near the local wholsaler (who have so called experts), I come out confused, they tend to omit little details like what cable I need, baluns and the like. Reading the system Q catalogue is easier

Just to let you know......Badge turn off your pc now.........

I have just added 2 more cameras to a system. the new cameras were on a remote building some 90 odd meters across a bowling green from the building housing the dvr........so for the first time I used cat5 & baluns & a couple of groundloop isolators.....I can report the results are spot on & you wouldn't know that cat5 was in use.

The system I put in using the alien dvr was only up and running for 3 hours after I left & the local scrotes were caught on motion detection keying cars in the carpark......done its job & quality dvd is now in the hands of the local plod.

Just to let you know......Badge turn off your pc now.........I have just added 2 more cameras to a system. the new cameras were on a remote building some 90 odd meters across a bowling green from the building housing the dvr........so for the first time I used cat5 & baluns & a couple of groundloop isolators.....I can report the results are spot on & you wouldn't know that cat5 was in use.

The system I put in using the alien dvr was only up and running for 3 hours after I left & the local scrotes were caught on motion detection keying cars in the carpark......done its job & quality dvd is now in the hands of the local plod.
argh well ya see you prob wouldnt have needed ground loop isolators if there was coaxes used :p ;) :)

Now badge theres a question for you our in house cctv pro....

Wouldnt GLI's had to have been used as matter of course even if I had used coax as both buildings are on seperate mains supplies? (showing that I dont do to much in cctv line)

Now I do need to go to bed.

well if the cctv is from 2 different supplies (ie different phases then possibilty of eart difference may occur, but if on same phase then earth to phase differential shouldnt be a problem HTH ;)

well if the cctv is from 2 different supplies (ie different phases then possibilty of eart difference may occur, but if on same phase then earth to phase differential shouldnt be a problem HTH ;)
Please explain if camera's signals are coming from across site fed from different buildings and on different phase how this will effect the video signal to the switcher/dvr.if fed in co-ax.

All different types of wiring should be segregated, to stop interference.(recomended)

because an earth difference between point a and point b will be created, this is because the cameras coax screen is earth both at the camera end and the dvr end even if dvr is low voltage, it will still have a different earth path created, hope that explains it.

Isn't the neutral & earth common back at the receiving end so the potential will not alter.

Bow to your expertise knowledge.

Most of the systems I have worked on 20 to 50 cameras across site on high mast external systems,various forms of transmission back to monitored point,via hard wired fibre optic or

co-ax in ducts.

Only problem so far is vermin chewing cables.

Fed from various sources non ups or surge protected, only problem is backward EMF.

Please their is no expert on any system be it CCTV or Fire.

Horses for course's(Vets excluded)