twin and earth used outside

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ive seen the recent post about NICEIC passing someone even tho they used twin and earth outside. so thought id ask a question.

abit of info:

basically i did a CU change and then tested ring main IR test and got a really bad reading. tracked it down to a length of cable from a spurred socket in the living room (main socket for tv sky ect) to socket on the ring upstairs. disconnected both ends and made safe as customer didnt want wall damaging as just decorated. obviously they need new point in same area and after discussing possible routes the best way as to not damage any internal walls was to go from a socket in room upstairs thru wall to outside then down the wall then back thru wall straight into lounge socket. the socket in the room above is a radial from consumer unit just supplying the one socket point (not sure why theyve done this as its the opposite side of house and other sockets in same room are on the ring). it will go down the wall outside for about 3m on the front of the house.

Q1. would you use twin and earth clipped direct for this (customer wants cheapest option).

Q2. would you put it in conduit (think this looks worse than T&E clipped direct)

Q3.or would you use an alternative (i dont think swa will be needed and wont really look that good either)

thanks for you opinions and advice in advance

wayne

whilst i have no issue t&e clipped outside i'd only do it at out of reach level

and no lower.

i agree that t&e clipped neatly equal spacings etc is asentically better than tube/swa on a domestic property

I will be interested to hear views on this. I don't think T&E is very visible at a distance, and far less so than SWA or conduit.

If it was my house it's what I'd go for.

I will be interested to hear views on this. I don't think T&E is very visible at a distance, and far less so than SWA or conduit. If it was my house it's what I'd go for.
i would agree its no more visable than the cable/ sky/aerial cable.

wont they go for a yt1 in the corner of the living room?

i'm not liking your proposal tbh

Personally I wouldn't use T and E outside.

A good option can be white FP200, or depending on the circumstances an artic flex.

Rather see SWA but as you say it is not the nicest looking, or conduit (I am a freak I think white conduit done nicely can look good).

yt1.jpg

Personally I wouldn't use T and E outside.A good option can be white FP200, or depending on the circumstances an artic flex.

Rather see SWA but as you say it is not the nicest looking, or conduit (I am a freak I think white conduit done nicely can look good).
i like the idea of the fp200.

give them a price for conduit and a price for cliped direct, explane about the shorter lifespan. i bet the price would not be to different and let them decide

If I am clipping outside I use flex black or white depending on job. If building is yellow you could use artic in yellow.

Batty

I would never use pvc twin and earth outside, clipped direct, or in trunking, nor in conduit.

My reason for this is, this cable is not manufactured, or intended for outside use.

As the meerkats say simples.

Hi there,

is there any manufacturers data supporting that TW+E can't be used outside?

Regards

Jud

i would use black conduit with T&E or SWA. i have done this on a few properties and it looks fine, just dont use white conduit...an eye-saw!!!

Hi there,is there any manufacturers data supporting that TW+E can't be used outside?

Regards

Jud
No, UV exposure may degrade the life expectancy of the cable, but so does heat and various other external influences. You should evaluate each installation on its individual merits to verify suitability Length of run, exposure to direct sunlight, expected circuit loading, risk of mechanical damage costs and any others you think relevant. If PVC T&E meets your spec then it can be installed on external walls.

Doc H.

T+E will degrade in the sun, so it shouldn't be used outside ever.