What cable do you prefere for lighting?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Im just curious really about this.

What do people prefere to install when doing a lighting circuit? (General Domestic circuit) Nothing fancy in commercial or industrial)

1.00mm or 1.5mm??

Just been nosey, for sake of the extra pence in the cable, i always use 1.5mm what about every one else then?

1.0mm could very well make its way back to being popular as low energy lamps dominate

;)

i always use 1.5.
we have for years but now with loads being so low with compact fluorescents

now no need.

i'm confident the new ammendment now announced for the brb will mention the allowance

mostly 1.5 for lighting but have been known to use 1.0mm.

Always use 1.0mm on smokes................why ..................I dont know just habbit Blushing

mostly 1.5 for lighting but have been known to use 1.0mm.Always use 1.0mm on smokes................why ..................I dont know just habbit Blushing
If i was to carry both on the van id end up cocking something up! same as the bloody twin brown you can get. i refuse to carry that after not noticing id used half a drum up on a rewire :(

If i was to carry both on the van id end up cocking something up! same as the bloody twin brown you can get. i refuse to carry that after not noticing id used half a drum up on a rewire :(
i always check the 1.5 i get outta van is blue/brown or brown/brown. wired a house in twin brown before. council job, so we got a little more scrap than normal from that job

The trick is to use a wide felt marker & scrawl 1mm or 1.5mm on the side of the reel ;)

Having said that my helper (when he first started comming out on jobs) did run 1mm 3c to all 6 smokes in a 3 storey property...............fine but we were using RF based detectors :_|

The trick is to use a wide felt marker & scrawl 1mm or 1.5mm on the side of the reel ;) Having said that my helper (when he first started comming out on jobs) did run 1mm 3c to all 6 smokes in a 3 storey property...............fine but we were using RF based detectors :_|
since its wired, may aswell stick the wired ones instead of radio

1.5 its not much more expensive,

less likley to run into probs of

voltage drop,

through insulation

better for 10amp mcb and type c

1.5 its not much more expensive,less likley to run into probs of

voltage drop,

through insulation

better for 10amp mcb and type c
lighting circuits should be on a C6 or B10 anyway. B6 is just bad design. although not always possible to change on existing systems

andy its a good point as high inrush currents are more frequent.

i take it thats why u stick with 1.5

the 1mm fans are keeping quiet........... :)
OK I used to run everything in 1.5, but got fed up with trying to jam lots this into ceiling roses on the odd occasion that 4 or more cables end up in one rose. Mostly I use 1mm - never had any problems with test results as I rarely get an R1+R2 higher than 1.2ohms. The only time I defo return to 1.5mm is when insulation is an issue and likely to cause reduction of cable capacity due to heat build up, as this keeps cable capacity well north of 6Amps

andy its a good point as high inrush currents are more frequent.i take it thats why u stick with 1.5
using 1.5 means its 1 less roll of cable to carry. anything to get a bit weight down!

and the C6/B10 isnt so much for inrush currents - its more to stop MCB tripping when a lamp blows. C6/B10 holds long enough for filament to completely blow, a B6 often trips