Countdown To Christmas!

Garage wiring (cable drops)

sellers

To contain or not contain  

43 members have voted

1. 1. To contain or not contain

• PVC conduit
    • Clipped Direct

When wiring a garage, do you leave your T+E drops on show, or in some pvc conduit? Personaly I like to wire round and do drops in conduit.

Same here.

Andy™

normally clipped direct, but depends on how likely it is to get damaged

Precisely, but conduit does look nice. Conduit / trunking fairly essential along back of workbenches where hammers, drills and general sharp things are very likely to be used.

sparks2911

always use pvc conduit with metal clad sockets as they are prone to damage from stuff being moved in garages

nicks electrix

I prefer swa its not the cheapest or best looking but i find it is saves a lot of time as your mechanical protection and wiring is all in one.

Andy™

i wouldnt like to terminate SWA into all those fittings!

NozSpark

PVC... only for the drops though!

Theorysparky

in my garage its trunked up to 4 inches from the beams then clipped.

as my assessor commented ' Nice'

Pvc conduit to drops but clipped if there is something to clip to. Concrete garages is another story though.

extension15

More choices in the Poll would have been better???

(At least use the wildcard option in any poll..)

:D

The Godfather

My boys tell me that exposed T&E cables on walls look poor and second rate, I have to agree.

The Don and his Boys believes all accessible cables in areas prone to knocks/bumps etc should have additional protection.

Don & His Boys

in my garage its trunked up to 4 inches from the beams then clipped.

as my assessor commented ' Nice'

Blushing much to my discrace Blushing I have to admit Blushing I needed a rush job for one of my assesments (a customer cancelled being in on the day required), so a few days before the assessment a rewire was called for in the garage.... a sunny sunday morning I wellied some left over 2L2.5 Micc up as a radial in the garage supplying a few sockets & rewired the lighting in pvc/pvc (was just a pendant on a flex & plug :| )

Assessors comments "Hmm dont often come across mi as a DI assessment job" points he picked up

1. could have done with more clips.
  2. even though it's mi it could still do with some outer mechanical protection in the garage.
  3. You missed removing a bit of the red pvc cover up there

It was a temp solution but has now been there 3 yrs I'm gradualy getting round to completing the conversion of garage to an office so it's all comming out & going into conduit & dado trunk.

always truinking for me ;)

Andy™
My boys tell me that exposed T&E cables on walls look poor and second rate, I have to agree.

The Don and his Boys believes all accessible cables in areas prone to knocks/bumps etc should have additional protection.

Don & His Boys

customer gets what they pay for. if they dont want it in conduit/trunking, then its clipped

• 3 months later...

I'm not a fan of T&E being on show anywhere in the finished space. If the garage has a full ceiling, then T&E above would be acceptable. Where everything is open, then personally I would much prefer to use PVC conduit and singles for the whole job, with metal-clad accessories.

I'm not a fan of T&E being on show anywhere in the finished space. If the garage has a full ceiling, then T&E above would be acceptable. Where everything is open, then personally I would much prefer to use PVC conduit and singles for the whole job, with metal-clad accessories.

Do you get much new build work?

Do you get much new build work?

None at all now, as I decided to quit doing general electrical installation a couple of years ago and concentrate on my original telecoms background.

None at all now, as I decided to quit doing general electrical installation a couple of years ago and concentrate on my original telecoms background.

I don't do many new builds but if I do I think my works are to a better standard than some but would not put all cables in a garage in conduit as you would never get the job as builders don't want to pay a lot for the electrics.

Batty

Andy™
I must of overlooked this response Andy.

I thought you were the electrician not the customer.

Don

you can recommend what you want to the customer, but at the end of the day, your working for them

as mr smith would be a customer

mr smith finds his opinion on this to be

that a tradesman employed by mr smith

would be expected to advise on

the best way of doing the job

rather than the cheapest

mr smith is meanwhile

cognisant of the fact

that not all customers

can take the same position

mr smith feels

that the purpose of employing a good tradesman