Garage wiring (cable drops)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
When wiring a garage, do you leave your T+E drops on show, or in some pvc conduit? Personaly I like to wire round and do drops in conduit.

normally clipped direct, but depends on how likely it is to get damaged
Precisely, but conduit does look nice. Conduit / trunking fairly essential along back of workbenches where hammers, drills and general sharp things are very likely to be used.

Always Conduit as I love getting all artistic with my trusty spring :)

I prefer swa its not the cheapest or best looking but i find it is saves a lot of time as your mechanical protection and wiring is all in one.

in my garage its trunked up to 4 inches from the beams then clipped.

as my assessor commented ' Nice'

More choices in the Poll would have been better???

(At least use the wildcard option in any poll..)

:D

normally clipped direct, but depends on how likely it is to get damaged
My boys tell me that exposed T&E cables on walls look poor and second rate, I have to agree.

The Don and his Boys believes all accessible cables in areas prone to knocks/bumps etc should have additional protection.

Don & His Boys

in my garage its trunked up to 4 inches from the beams then clipped.as my assessor commented ' Nice'
Blushing much to my discrace Blushing I have to admit Blushing I needed a rush job for one of my assesments (a customer cancelled being in on the day required), so a few days before the assessment a rewire was called for in the garage.... a sunny sunday morning I wellied some left over 2L2.5 Micc up as a radial in the garage supplying a few sockets & rewired the lighting in pvc/pvc (was just a pendant on a flex & plug :| )

Assessors comments "Hmm dont often come across mi as a DI assessment job" points he picked up

1. could have done with more clips.
  2. even though it's mi it could still do with some outer mechanical protection in the garage.
  3. You missed removing a bit of the red pvc cover up there

It was a temp solution but has now been there 3 yrs I'm gradualy getting round to completing the conversion of garage to an office so it's all comming out & going into conduit & dado trunk.

My boys tell me that exposed T&E cables on walls look poor and second rate, I have to agree.The Don and his Boys believes all accessible cables in areas prone to knocks/bumps etc should have additional protection.

Don & His Boys
customer gets what they pay for. if they dont want it in conduit/trunking, then its clipped

I'm not a fan of T&E being on show anywhere in the finished space. If the garage has a full ceiling, then T&E above would be acceptable. Where everything is open, then personally I would much prefer to use PVC conduit and singles for the whole job, with metal-clad accessories.

I'm not a fan of T&E being on show anywhere in the finished space. If the garage has a full ceiling, then T&E above would be acceptable. Where everything is open, then personally I would much prefer to use PVC conduit and singles for the whole job, with metal-clad accessories.
Do you get much new build work?

Do you get much new build work?
None at all now, as I decided to quit doing general electrical installation a couple of years ago and concentrate on my original telecoms background.