Help with Final Approval Notice for Extension/Electrics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue

Reaction score
Hello I am hoping that someone can offer some advice with me being clueless when it comes to electrics!

Basically, we had a dining room extension built at our house in June/July 2008. The electrical work was carried out around that time but unfortunately, the electrician did not provide me with a certificate to hand into the Building Control department until March this year as he was too busy to get around to sort it out. Anyway, the council will not accept this certificate because it is 16th edition when apparently it needs to be 17th edition.

The electrician we used has not yet been on a 17th edition course so cannot provide me with a new certificate at this stage. I basically just want to get this sorted out and receive my final approval notice from Building Control and wondered if they would accept it if I got another electrician who was qualifed to 17th edition to inspect it?

Any help or advice would be appreciated as this matter has been dragging on and on. Many thanks.

i did a house up a about 5 years back, my mate did the electrics and another electrician tested and signed it off, council acepted the certs

Hi Sue

The 17th Edition of the regulations came into force on 1 July 2008 so your job crossed two sets of regulations, but my understanding is that jobs completed after that date had to be done to the 17th edition.

One thing is for sure no one else can sign off your electricians work for him. However a periodic inspection could be carried out by a new electricianand the instalation either certified to the 17th Edition or they will provide you with a schedule of work that needs to be done to make it comply. Guess the thing is to check with building control to make sure they would except this approach.

Hello I am hoping that someone can offer some advice with me being clueless when it comes to electrics! Basically, we had a dining room extension built at our house in June/July 2008. The electrical work was carried out around that time but unfortunately, the electrician did not provide me with a certificate to hand into the Building Control department until March this year as he was too busy to get around to sort it out. Anyway, the council will not accept this certificate because it is 16th edition when apparently it needs to be 17th edition.

The electrician we used has not yet been on a 17th edition course so cannot provide me with a new certificate at this stage. I basically just want to get this sorted out and receive my final approval notice from Building Control and wondered if they would accept it if I got another electrician who was qualifed to 17th edition to inspect it?

Any help or advice would be appreciated as this matter has been dragging on and on. Many thanks.
You electrician... CAN issue a 17th edition certificate without yet completing a 17th edition course.

Tell him to buy some 17th ed certificate pads and copy the information out for you.

The bigger question may be.. what standard did he actually do the work to?

16th or 17th? Key differences being the amount of RCD protection and/or supplementary bonding?

If it was completed June/July 08 it could still legitimately be finished off to the older 16th edition,

as 17th edition didn't apply till Jan 2008, but there was a 'grace' changeover period for existing contracted works to be completed...

It is possible your council guy may be talking out of his bottom!?

ALthough... you 'electricain' is a bit lax leaving it that long before completing cert....

Is your electrician a member of one of the approved schemes for part P approval?

e.g. ELECSA, NAPIT, NICEIC, BSI, ECA etc..?

it may be that your council don't like his certificate cuz it has no 'approved body' membership logo / serial No on it?

:|

Dunno if thats any help...

p.s.

Welcome to the forum Sue. Guiness Drink

or maybe :Y

Blushing:D

Yes Russell

If I remember right that was for the design & quote of new work..

i.e. Jan - June 08 you could choose to do work either to 16th OR 17th

But new design & quote after 1 July onward should have ALL been to 17th..

But existing contracts agreed before 1st July could still be ongoing...

I remember NIC saying something like they expected MOST 16th ed work to have ALL be completed by Dec 08...

which is probably the tack that this council is going down e.g. ALL certs after Dec 08 would most likely be all finished with 16th ed work! :| :D

P.S.

the Don wants to know if you have been drinking tonight...

AndyC wants to know if you have smoked..

And Badger wants to know if you have had a Bowel movement yet today! :eek: :^O:^O:^O

Before the "P.S", You are, Correct again, Mr Specs, Sir. :D

I agree with special location.It is correct that whilst the "cut off" was the 1st, all work carried out or started before that date could still be to the 16th editions.

Hello I am hoping that someone can offer some advice with me being clueless when it comes to electrics! Basically, we had a dining room extension built at our house in June/July 2008. The electrical work was carried out around that time but
in which case it will most likely have been designed/installed to 16th ed, and therefore certs should be issued to 16th ed. even jobs being completed today can still be done to 16th if they were designed/started before 17th came into effect last year.

if you have the 16th ed certs, thats all LABC need.

Thanks for all your replies and advice you have been very helpful! I think I need to find out exactly what date the work was carried out by checking through my records and then speak to the council again about this to try and get them to re-think it before I go down the route and expense of getting another electrician in.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum Sue, Good to have you On-Board.

Please do let us know how you get off, and don't hesitate to ask any further questions that you may have.