Bathroom Light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scenario: You go round customers house to replace bathroom light. (3 Plate) once youve taken the old light off the wires have been left with no slack at all so unable to reach terminations on new light. What would you do in this situation??

Would you pull the feed in, feed out and switch wires up into loft and terminate into a 4 terminal junction box and add another cable feeding the light in the bathroom as it only needs L/N as its class 2. Is this correct or any better ways of doing it.

Lastly and waiting to be shot down in flames but is it a major problem if a 30A junction box is used (brown ones) or do you have to use a 6A one.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers

u could crimp, but u might not be able to get heat sleaving on if it needs and lots of wires. if u can get in loft jb sounds like a good idear. 30 amp is ok but it need 4 terminals. i was told bigger is ok but never smaller, i guess its like tit inplants

even if its class 2 keep the earth there should be some were to terminate it

I would put jb in loft and use heat resistant flex to light fitting, not always a lot of room for connections and usually enclosed fittings so hr just the job.

i was told bigger is ok but never smaller, i guess its like tit inplants
TeeHee... And how wise was the man who told you that?! That's now my standard advice to any apprentice I should take on in the future!

You have an attic, yer laughin'... jb all the way.

If T+E outer sheath is through the ceiling but cables arent long enough I'd say use insulated Crimps, no need for heat shrink over them, bit of insulation tape fine.

If its very easy to access the loft and access where the cables go through the ceiling then by all mean JB it, 6a minimum! will need 4 terminals.

If it where me I would use Wagos to keep wiring together in small wp box or chockbox and poke them through hole in ceiling and have butyl flex coming through hole to light fitting. That way you would not have to go up in loft. I hate lofts so that would suit me.

Batty

If it where me I would use Wagos to keep wiring together in small wp box or chockbox and poke them through hole in ceiling and have butyl flex coming through hole to light fitting. That way you would not have to go up in loft. I hate lofts so that would suit me.Batty
i often do that too.