2391 and 2392

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madeinengland

Reaction score
hi guys i want to do my 2391. here's where i am. i work for my family business and 4 years ago it looked to be going belly up. so they paid for me to get a trade and i chose sparking as my bro is qualified and self employed and the plan was to join him.well i've done my 3 years 2330 and have my 17th edition exam on monday. the family business over these last few years is now doing really well and so i'm still working here and have very little experience of any electrical work other than the odd wk/end with my bro.the way i plan to go is to carry on working for my family's business and do some testing and inspecting at wk/ends and evenings as i know a few people who do rewires and stuff but can't self certificate, my brother included.i'm booked in for the 2392 in jan as my college won't allow anyone to go straight into 2391 anymore which is a seperate issue i don't want to get into. my question is how hard is 2391 really as others on here have posted that they are in the same boat as me experience wise and have got distinctions doing it. is the 2392 worth doing anyway? and what does the 2392 actually allow me to do testing and inspecting wise?

Hello Madeinengland.

I am currently on the 2392 - four or five weeks into it.

I have the 2330 Levels 2 and 3 and the 2382-10 (17th Edition - full course).

The 2392 is a stepping stone to the 2391 for people with little or no experience.

The 2392 is Testing & Inspection on Single-Phase installations and is recognised (Down here at least) by Part P providers.

I know that the NICEIC will accept an applicant with just the 2392 for Domestic Installer status - therefore, removing the need for the applicant to have the 2391. Which it should be. (Although there are, albeit few, domestic premises that have Three-Phase supplies.

HTH.

As for "How easy is the 2391?" - As with any exam - It is only easy if you have put the work in.

This is not an easy exam at the best of times, and needs to be "Word Perfect".

Ie: Low resistance Ohmmeter and NOT continuity tester, etc.

cool thanks for that admin. i see you've done the 17th full course. i've just done 2330 L3 and was told i only need to do the short course for the 17th and have exam on monday after 2 lessons 6 hours! is the qualification at the end of it the same as yours?

cool thanks for that admin.
No Probs Mate.

i see you've done the 17th full course.
Indeed, I did, Mate.

i've just done 2330 L3 and was told i only need to do the short course for the 17th and have exam on monday after 2 lessons 6 hours! is the qualification at the end of it the same as yours?
By the sounds of it you already hold the old 2381 - within a certain time frame of the 2382 coming out - This is the ONLY reason you are able to do the 2382-20 Short, 17th Edition Regulations' Course.

You will know the results on the same day Mate. You should get a print out in percentages as you did on all your othere C & G Exams throughout your level 2 and 3 of your 2330.

HTH?!

By the sounds of it you already hold the old 2381 - within a certain time frame of the 2382 coming out - This is the ONLY reason you are able to do the 2382-20 Short, 17th Edition Regulations' Course.
Not strictly correct. The 2330 (completed before whatever date) is also considered a 16th Edition qualification.

As is the 2360.

As is the 2351 completed as part of an Advanced Apprenticeship.

That said, despite holding one of these, I was still made to do the full course because City & Guilds hadn't updated their guidance at that stage.

As for receiving results on the same day, that may or may not be the case. When I did it, they refused to give out results at the time because of mistakes made previously. As such, it was their policy to wait for confirmation from City & Guilds before notfiying the candidate (i.e. you had to wait for the certificate to come through the door).

If you complete the 2330 L3 you only need to do the 17th update. Fact.

Thank You Chaps. I didn't know that - And, Suprise suprise - It's not advertised as such - Down here.