bathroom and kitchen bonding

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk000

Reaction score
hi all, iv recently had the council round to fit a new kitchen and bath room. now the work is "finished" i noticed that the bathroom is not bonded properly(only some pipes were bonded but not all jointed together) and the kitchen sink and pipes not bonded at all. i informed the the supervisor who came 2 sign it off, and he send the the new 17th reg say that because the house is Rcd protected they dont need to be earthed (he is no electrician), iv never heard of that.. so is this right or do i need to sort it out??

sorry for the long-windedness

thanks

james

He's right provided that your house actually is RCD protected. However, I suspect he is oversimplifying the regulations and may not understand them. You don't mention having had the consumer unit changed or any other electrical work carried out, so I would assume your installation has a "16th edition" split load consumer unit:

Has the consumer unit been changed to a dual RCD "17th edition" unit?

Has an RCD been added to the upstairs lighting circuit (either off-board or an RCBO)?

Has an RCD FCU been used to provide RCD protection to the bathroom light?

Are any other circuits in the bathroom (eg shower, heated towel rail) RCD protected?

If you can answer 'yes' to any one of the above questions and the one below:

Are both gas and water services bonded to the earth terminal in 10mm cable?

then you are okay.

If you cannot answer 'yes' to any of the first four questions and/or to question 5, then your installation does not meet 17th edition requirements and supplementary bonding is required in the bathroom (and your main bonding may need remedial action).

Were any electrical certificates issued detailing any electrical work carried out (if you haven't been issued any ask for copies, if any)?

it must meet ALL not just anyone

bathbonds.jpg

we dont have a dual RCD "17th edition" unit, nor is there and rcd fitted to the upstairs lighting, no rcd fcu. water and gas service are bonded to the earth terminal in 10mm cable. basicly no work has been done for bout 10years.

so its pretty doge?

my main concern is if they left my house like it, how many other peoples houses are like it.

do you think there is room for a complaint?

it must meet ALL not just anyone
bathbonds.jpg
bottom iii

what do people consider to be a effective connection in ohms? im sure its in GN3 somewhere.