Cable Crimps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roys

Gold Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Sparks,

Seen a lot of mention on other threads regarding the use of crimps on T&E cable (I persume). So, I was always taught that you should never crimp solid drawn copper (not stranded) as it can cause hot spots or weak spots. We are only ever allowed to crimp stranded cores and we must use ratchet crimping pliers.

Is this just an industrial rule. What do you all think?

Cheers Steve

No probs with crimping solid core as long as a decent pair of ratchet crimpers have been used . Guiness Drink

use a quality crimper

crimper.jpg

not^ :coat

There have been many investigations into cable terminations, including crimp(by compression).

They found that any termination be it at point of use ie:- socket outlet, light fitting,junction box, is no less effective providing correct connections are provided.

A ratchet crimper is a must as this affords the correct compression on any cable joint.

Never over tighten any connection, as this can have detrimental effects on any cable joint.

I did read an article where a specific torque was given for all terminations in a consumer unit. However I have lost the paper, and can not find the link.

most manufacturers instructions for CU's probably say the torque req'd, but 1: i dont have a torque screwdriver, and 2: i dont know if this really is in the instructions since i dont read them....

I'm not too happy crimping solid cores either (although I have.) Was a maintenance spark for some years and we would never crimp solid core cables, particularly in any environment where they may be exposed to vibrations.

Sure there will be summink in the regs about it??

when did crimps on solid core become an issue arnt they a classed as permenant connection

I didn't know it was an issue !! Ratchet crimpers are recommended , I believe , to override the grip strength of the individual and give a constant to the equation.

I use those cheapo crappy things pictured but only for cropping 3.5 screws, quite useful as they do not damage the thread.

my only issue with crimps is i could not find a set that crimps from 1mm to 16mm

I have an hydrolic crimper for cables up to 400mm, used it on one job so far :)

For smaller cables I have two types of crimp tool both are ratchet and for different uses.

Latest posts